Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Need Help with broadband error 300

This is a discussion on Need Help with broadband error 300 within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; can anyone help me out i rang sky bout month ago to tell them i wasnt getting internet, they ran ...

Vadar1988 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Need Help with broadband error 300

can anyone help me out i rang sky bout month ago to tell them i wasnt getting internet, they ran me through there lil help thing and told me to do the sky test did error 300, they also told me i lost my ip address somehow

so anyways they told me they will fix the problem and ring me back in 48hours
      .............5days pass no call, so rang again they told me they have sent me a new router an it would be with me within 4 days etc............ 3weeks later the router turns up, switch it on bang problem solved untill the next day the dreaded broadband light was orange......did the sky test to see what it would say error 300 again, anyways 6 days later the internet was back ok maybe it was jus a lil thing but the next day back to orange and has been orange ever since the thing is my activation was a year ago beacuse ive had sky for over a year but ive been having problems for a month now so can anyone help me in this problem beacuse sky jus dnt wanna seem to help

2. Advertisement
      Lindemans is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bury MRBUR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Need Help with broadband error 300

Well I think I have the same problem as the above poster ( had to take several deep breaths whilst reading that) but I would like someone to explain what the error code 300 actually means . I have read the definition on this site somewhere ...

Error 300 = No IP address possible fix, try rebooting the router by pushing a pen or something into the reset button if this fails turn it off for an hour, if you still get error 300 ring TS for more help.

What does this mean ? It seems that every other month or so I get a run of these Error's ( currently in the middle of one) and Sky give me the same solutions. Plug router into main line, no extension cables, no cordless phones etc. My setup is always the same but the error will still come back eventually. These just seem to be things they tell you to do no matter what the problem is.

So is the error code 300 caused by my equipment or is it a more technical / outside of my control problem ? Please help me out.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

but the next day back to orange
      If you are using another router and getting the same result, this suggests to me that the fault is with your line/exchange. Sky's favourite fix is to send out a new router, which will not fix a line fault. They must have wasted 1000s of pounds sending out routers when there is no need. I think all you can do is phone them and insist that your line is properly checked. This could be as simple as a plug working loose in the exchange and making intermittent contact.

@Lindemans
      I don't think you have the same problem as you do not mention the orange light. Error 300 can have many causes. It would be better if you started your own thread and include your detailed stats taken over a period of 24 hours, preferably from the Test socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

its a stale session issue brought on by the new routers - its a big issue with them ive found and something only CST (specifically, tier 3) can clear...

and it would happen with another router too as its the last connection session thats locked - any router would bring the same issue until cleared from the DSLAM
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Chris_H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01273
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Apparently you can clear a stale session by logging in with the wrong password. Of course you can only do this if you have flashed your router after discovering your log in details. I discovered this apparent fix after I was without a connection for three days due to a stale session. This was fixed by T3 so I didn't get a chance to test it. Apparently you change your password to anything, reboot the router, this clears the stale session, change password back to correct one, reboot again and away you go.
      I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried this and if it worked?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

possibly, but the session is created by the username so it'd still be there when you reconnect with the original logins - afaik it can ONLY be cleared by manual removal from tier 3/CST
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Chris_H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01273
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I remember seeing this quoted somewhere here but can't find the post. The user was (apparently) told this would work by a T3 person. Of course the T3 person was talking hypothetically as they can't condone router flashing!!

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

just to put my 2 pennys worth in, i get the error 300 message anywhere up to 4 times a week, this will always coincide with noise spikes on my line or a very low SNR and have always been reconnected within a couple of mins

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

its a stale session issue brought on by the new routers - its a big issue with them
      This very disturbing if it is true. You would think, given the testing this router and firmware had before it was released, a fault like this would have been discovered and rectified. It does not bode well for the much-awaited new firmware for the V1 router.

I am not convinced that this is the cause, if it were the new router would not have connected at all, which it did. Whatever the reason, it requires CST intervention.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.