Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sky contract cancellation

This is a discussion on sky contract cancellation within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; my contract with sky broad band max is finishing on 8th December 07. when i emailed them to cancel the ...

drmaftoon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: worthin
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question sky contract cancellation

my contract with sky broad band max is finishing on 8th December 07. when i emailed them to cancel the contract i was advised to " return the broadband router in pre labeled envelope"
      is this normal? or i am being shafted by il informed sky customer services staff. i believe after one year of contract the router becomes my property. sky did not ask me to send my digibox back when i canceled my sky contract.

any help will be greatly appreciated

2. Advertisement
      terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: sky contract cancellation

Under the terms and conditions of the broadband contract section 3c says...

(c) Your Wireless Router (except the software in it) will become your property on installation if you choose Home Installation, or on delivery if you choose Self Install. The software in your Wireless Router is owned by or licensed to Sky or another member of the British Sky Broadcasting group. You must allow this software to be updated. Updates will happen automatically at no extra charge.
      Which means the router is yours. So you could argue that you will remove the firmware (by flashing a standard netgear one) and send them back the installation CD, which contains a backup.

They don't provide a prepaid envelope either from what I remember.

I'd ignore the email and see what happens next personally.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

This happens from time to time and is, I suspect, a training issue.

Out of interest, why are you leaving and who are you going to?

ononotagain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01296
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terrorvis View Post
      Under the terms and conditions of the broadband contract section 3c says...

Which means the router is yours. So you could argue that you will remove the firmware (by flashing a standard netgear one) and send them back the installation CD, which contains a backup.

They don't provide a prepaid envelope either from what I remember.

I'd ignore the email and see what happens next personally.
      The Sky software is open source so everybody owns it and Sky should provide the source code!

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Not quite right. Some of the software on the router is released under the GNU General Public Licence, which doesn't mean that "everyone owns it", although it does place certain obligations on people who modify it. Netgear have complied with the requirements of the GPL.

Other parts of the software are closed-source and the copyright holders are not under any obligation to release the source code.

BGonaSTICK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sky
      Hi xxxxxxxxx,

Thanks for contacting Sky Broadband.

I am sorry to hear that you no longer wish to continue with Sky Broadband.
      You may require a Mac code to transfer your broadband service. I have arranged for this code to be sent to you and you should receive this shortly.

Once received, you must provide this to your new provider within 30 days or the code will become invalid.

Please arrange for the Sky Broadband router to be returned using the prepaid label that came with the box.

If you need further help or information, please reply to this email or contact us on 08705 515 515.

Thanks

Jamie
      Sky Broadband Customer Services
      Sky
      Thanks for saving me the time raking through the contract for the relevant clause. Much appreciated.

I will point this out to them

BGonaSTICK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just to follow up on this, after notifying them of the above, I got:

Quote Originally Posted by sky

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Support.

I note your comments and can advise tha t as you have been subscribing to Sky broadband for over 12 months, the re is no need to return the router.

If you need further help or information, please reply to this email or contact us on 08705 515 515.

Kind regards
      xxxxxxx
      Sky Broadband Customer Services

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I note your comments and can advise that as you have been subscribing to Sky broadband for over 12 months, the re is no need to return the router.
      This would still seem to be against their T & Cs. There is no mention there about having to complete a 12 month contract before the router becomes your property. There is no mention of 12 months in this clause-

(c) Your Wireless Router (except the software in it) will become your property on installation
      Admittedly, most other ISPs who supply a 'free' router have a 12 month clause, I think Sky have slipped up badly with their wording.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Admittedly, most other ISPs who supply a 'free' router have a 12 month clause, I think Sky have slipped up badly with their wording.
      Agreed, but I think it may just be a training issue Saturday mentioned or interpretation.

The router may become your property when it arrives, however you are required to be within contract for twelve months. You can't leave a contract until its fully paid up.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Maybe, but I don't see how official Sky letters can be a training issue. They must be working from some internal instruction. The trouble is that they should have said in the T & Cs, "after completion of your 12 month contract, the router becomes your property" but they didn't.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.