Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sky DG834GT v's Netgears own

This is a discussion on Sky DG834GT v's Netgears own within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys, after many problems with sky bb and in particular the DG834GT i've spent a bit of time and ...

jmcmuk75 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEFN - 1Km - Att 32
      Broadband ISP: Tiscali suck
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky DG834GT v's Netgears own

Hi guys, after many problems with sky bb and in particular the DG834GT i've spent a bit of time and money testing DG834GT's.

Sky's DG834GT : We all know there a bugs in sky own firmware but flashing the firmware to Netgear's didn't fix all my problems. As we know the sky router drops out as soon as the snr goes below 7. I thought this was strange since my old Aol DG834v3 can hold connection with a snr as low as 2.

I've spent a bit of time buying a couple of Netgear DG834GT's of ebay for as cheap I could, just to be sure that both routers acted the same.

The results are, the retail Netgear DG834GT's can both hold connection with a snr of 3. (I havent managed to get lower than 3 at all, i dont mean the router dropped connection at 2). I flashed the retails with the Sky firmware and they were still capable of holding connection at 3)

My conclusion is that even though Sky made errors in the own firmware, the main problem seems to stem from the router itself. I wonder if Sky tried to get there routers for a super cheap price or if Netgear have done the dirty on Sky?

2. Advertisement
      Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky DG834GT v's Netgears own

Have you tried downloading anything with an SNR of 3? My SKY router can hold its connection at 3DB but when i surf it disconnects...

Sky TV:
      Thanks

In genral I think most people have a problem download below 6/7 with the Sky router. My Sky router fails below 6.9 but you must have a good one if you manage to get down to 3 before you notice a problem. The retail netgear works fine at 3, 3 was the lowest i could bring my att down to using a 25m extension

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well the Sky DG834GT certainly seems to be identical to the Netgear version. Could it be that DG834GT routers are each tested by Netgear, and if they are below a certain spec, then they're sent to Sky? At first thought it might seem a bit unlikely, and I certainly doubt Netgear would do such a thing without Sky's knowledge.

But when I think about it, it might just be true. Imagine Sky approaches Netgear about sourcing a router for their new broadband service. Netgear says, "Well we can sell you a DG834GT for about 10 per unit, but our production process gives us a proportion of routers which we consider B-grade. They just fail the in-process testing, but should work for most customers. You can have those for 5 each." With over a million routers shipped, we're talking about a difference in overhead costs for Sky of several million pounds.

And another thing that attracted my suspicion was the way a replacement router that Sky sent to me had a label on it saying "Grade-A router". Why would you label a router as being "Grade-A" unless some routers weren't Grade A? As it happens, the router didn't seem to be any more reliable than the other router, but then I am sure that there are problems with the Sky firmware, and maybe the nature of the noise on my line is such that its the firmware deficiencies which are the predominant problem, rather than the hardware deficiencies.

Could it be that Sky decided it would send out B-grade kit as standard, but send out a A-grade replacement if a customer complained? If 10% of the customers complained, then it would still be a lot cheaper to send a second, 10 router to that 10%.

Of course, it would be an utter scandal if this conspiracy theory turned out to be true!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Makes you wonder though doesn't it ??

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcmuk75 View Post
      My conclusion is that even though Sky made errors in the own firmware, the main problem seems to stem from the router itself.
      That's a very interesting observation. Out of interest, did you use the same power supply for each router or use the the one that came with each router for just that router? The reason I ask is that a year or so ago there was a theory (with a small amount of evidence) that the Sky routers were being supplied with Power supplies which failed to meet the defined spec.

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Well the Sky DG834GT certainly seems to be identical to the Netgear version. Could it be that DG834GT routers are each tested by Netgear, and if they are below a certain spec, then they're sent to Sky?
      That, as you initially say, sounds very unlikely. How many DG834GTs would Netgear have to manufacture to get 1 million 2nd rate (after testing) routers? Unless their "failure" rate is an extraordinarily high percentage rate. In which case what would they have done with the million poor routers if Sky hadn't bought them? And after testing they then have to move the lower spec routers to the Sky production line to add the Sky branding?

What seems far more likely is that Sky have placed an order for the routers at a spec and price and Netgear have sourced the components accordingly. This is what has always happened with the Sky digiboxes in the past so why not in this case. To meet the price/profit required, it is quite possible that Netgear have bought in different components for the Sky router than those they use in their own branded ones. Different as in cheaper/lower spec.

BTW I believe for electrical items Grade A normally means that the item is unused and in perfect cosmetic condition with all specified leads, PS etc, probably not in its normal retail packaging. Grade B means it is probably a returned item, (possibly unused) but there may be some cosmetic damage (or even damaged packaging) and not all leads, PS etc may be included.
      Last edited by Saturday; 23-11-07 at 01:50 PM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi again Saturday, i ran all my tests with the original sky psu. I didn't think this would play any part, but that said if the Sky psu was providing to much voltage, this may well be what cause the router to work well for a week or two until it gets to hot.
      I haven't used the retail psu's at all, but both routers i bought were second hand off ebay. I'll get the multi meter out and see if there is any difference in voltage today.
      I certainly go along with your idea that Sky may have asked for cheaper parts to be used inside the router to cut costs. The basic Atheros chips must be the same surely, unless Sky themselves managed to get hold of b spec Atheros chips.?
      Last edited by jmcmuk75; 23-11-07 at 01:26 PM.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Looks like you might be on to something i saw a post somewere on the internet about a guy who had a Dg834GT that he had bought with BT. Since using Sky BB he expereinced constant disconnections with the Sky BB router. But he flashed the Sky firmware with the Dg834GT he bought and 'it worked like a charm'?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcmuk75 View Post
      I'll get the multi meter out and see if there is any difference in voltage today.
      That would be interesting - if you have the means, testing them under load would be best.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monday View Post
      But he flashed the Sky firmware with the Dg834GT he bought and 'it worked like a charm'?
      Hmmm - the generated username/password wouldn't be in Sky's systems i.e. authentication would fail I'd have thought.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast