Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sky DG834GT v's Netgears own

This is a discussion on Sky DG834GT v's Netgears own within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; If you can be bothered and don't mind the small amount of damage then that would be interesting. Whether any ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky DG834GT v's Netgears own

If you can be bothered and don't mind the small amount of damage then that would be interesting. Whether any meaningful conclusions could be drawn from the results though is possibly a different matter.

Are the PSUs of the same physical appearance? Looking back over some old posts it seems there are at least two different types.

Makes you wonder whether there are different hardware versions of the router too (the DG834G for example is up to V3 I believe). Most electronic products seem to get lower quality components introduced over their product life, for cost reasons I guess. Could be the same here.

2. Advertisement
      jmcmuk75 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEFN - 1Km - Att 32
      Broadband ISP: Tiscali suck
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I agree in the fact that the more electronics are produce / updated the lower the overall quality becomes. Companies are always trying to cut overhead and make a larger profit so quality does faulter on extended lines of production.
      I'll wait till tonight and download a couple of linux iso's with the multi meter attached to the sky psu, and do the same tomorrow on the retail netgear psu. I'll post the results tomorrow night.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Presumably, you have to put a working Sky connection username and password into the router while it has the standard firmware in it, then you flash the Sky firmware onto it. Provided you don't select the "Revert to Factory Default Settings" link, it'll keep the username and password that you programmed in. If you were to reset to defaults, the router would generate an unrecognised username and password pair that would fail to connect.
      I think the consensus is that the Sky firmware generates the username and password every time it boots. Is it possible that Sky do not authenticate against a database but just check that the algorithm between the username and password is correct?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

The username & password are fixed to each router. The username is the mac address @ sky and the password is probably an algorithm of the mac code.

Back to the voltages. I downloaded the linux iso's on bitlord last night for 2 hours. I was getting good speeds on the second iso (800kbs), and i did notice that the more you download the higher the voltage gets.

I was using the sky psu, the voltage started at 13.8v as i started downloading the second iso. The voltage ended up floating around the 15v mark, which seems to say the psu lets more power through the harder it works, or the hotter it gets. This cant be good for the router at all since it's rated at 12v. I'll try again tonight with a retail psu.

Anderzander is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Poulton-le-Fylde
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

If the PSU might be behind the overheating, is there then any correlation between the heat in the router and the frequency of drop outs?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

maybe, maybe not. I managed to run a retail DG834GT with the Sky psu without any problems for a few weeks. If Sky do have cheaper components in the router to cut costs, maybe the extra voltage and heat causes a problem. Computer motherboard manufacturers have gone towards solid capacitors in recent years to aid overclocking and increase circut board life, so poorer components inside a router may well fail if provided to much voltage. I couldnt say for sure though.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
      I think the consensus is that the Sky firmware generates the username and password every time it boots. Is it possible that Sky do not authenticate against a database but just check that the algorithm between the username and password is correct?
      I don't think the username and password are generated every time the router boots, just whenever it initialises the NVRAM, which it'll do when then router is switched on for the first time, or when the user resets the router to its default settings.

I think we can be pretty sure that when the router is dispatched, the barcode on the box (which includes the MAC address of the router) is recorded against the order number, and that information is then passed on to Sky.

The proof of this second point is that there have been instances where routers have either been dispatched without having been scanned, or the information hasn't been passed on to Sky, and customers have been unable to connect. Sky customer service has then been able to fix this problem by asking the customer to read out the MAC address to them over the telephone.

The proof of the first point also comes from that observation in conjuction with the fact that it's possible to buy a DG834GT off the shelf, set the username and password, reflash it with the Sky firmware, and it still connects.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123