Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky DG834GT v's Netgears own

This is a discussion on Sky DG834GT v's Netgears own within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; But he flashed the Sky firmware with the Dg834GT he bought and 'it worked like a charm'? Surely he would ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky DG834GT v's Netgears own

But he flashed the Sky firmware with the Dg834GT he bought and 'it worked like a charm'?
      Surely he would have had to put the un/pw from his Sky router into it to get it to connect. He would not be able to do this with Sky firmware.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Hmmm - the generated username/password wouldn't be in Sky's systems i.e. authentication would fail I'd have thought.
      Dont quite know what you mean but when the Dgteams firmware messed up my wireless connectivity on my router, i was forced to do a factory reset on the router. The i flashed the sky firmware and the username and pass came back on?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It would do with a Sky supplied router, but you imply that the router was not supplied by Sky!

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      That, as you initially say, sounds very unlikely.
      Any good conspiracy theory will always fit at least some of the observed facts - that's how they tempt to you to start believing something that seems by all accounts to be unlikely!

It's worth pointing out, having spent many weeks of my life investigating the issue of Sky Broadband reliability, that it's very, very easy to jump to conclusions about what's going wrong. So on one day, my connection would die several times after dusk, I tweak some settings and the next day it seemed to survive dusk without dying. "Ahah!" I would say, "So that's what the problem is."

But the next day, the connection would start dying again after dusk, so despite all indications that I had found the solution, it was clear I hadn't. It's just so easy to see cause-and-effect where it doesn't actually exist. Sometimes the real cause of an observed effect can be entirely different from the presumed cause. So the evening where my connection didn't die might have been as a result of me rebooting the router at exactly 7.30am the previous morning, and the router adopting a SNR vs frequency profile which didn't expose the bit-swap bug when dusk came as severely as it would have done if the router had been rebooted at, say, 8am in the morning instead.

As for the idea of the Sky router actually having a slightly lower spec than the equivalent Netgear-branded routers, I suppose it is still possible though. If Netgear have more than one plant producing the routers, there's no reason why one plant couldn't be dedicated to producing Sky-branded routers exclusively, with that plant loaded up with slightly lower-spec components. And because hardware manufacturers work at incredibly low margins, even tiny cuts in component costs can boost profits dramatically.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Surely he would have had to put the un/pw from his Sky router into it to get it to connect. He would not be able to do this with Sky firmware.
      Presumably, you have to put a working Sky connection username and password into the router while it has the standard firmware in it, then you flash the Sky firmware onto it. Provided you don't select the "Revert to Factory Default Settings" link, it'll keep the username and password that you programmed in. If you were to reset to defaults, the router would generate an unrecognised username and password pair that would fail to connect.

jmcmuk75 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEFN - 1Km - Att 32
      Broadband ISP: Tiscali suck
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As James67 says, all you do is extract the user name/password, set the retail DG834GT up using these, then flash the router with the fimware. The same action allows you to get the username/password from the sky router.
      Im just about to have a go at these voltages now and will post back later.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right, quick test done on voltage, no load involved.

Sky psu @16.5v
      Netgear psu1 @14.9v
      Netgear psu2 @15.0v

Netgear dg834v3 @14.2v

The sky psu seem a little high, infact they all do considering the all rate at 12v and 100ma (ish).I'll attempt to do a basic load test and post again.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

For this test :static = idle & active = 1 sky user speedtest
      Basic load test result is.

Sky psu static 14.1v
      Sky psu active 13.7v

Netgear 1 psu static 12.9v
      Netgear 1 psu active 12.6v

Netgear 2 psu static 12.8v
      Netgear 2 pus active 12.5v

It looks like the sky psu puts out to much voltage, but I dont know if this would damage the router. I bet it would make it get hot though

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Certainly can't help can it.

Also, I believe cheap PSUs often "ripple" and pump out all sorts of noise/harmonics etc. That can't help either, especially if the router components aren't of the highest quality.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Im only using a probe multi meter to do the load tests, but if i strip the wires a small amout i could do the test over the next few hours to see if theres any dramatic change.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast