Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SKY changed my IP?

This is a discussion on SKY changed my IP? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; i've been sky a good few months now and things have been fairly ok if u discount the disconnecting etc ...

stealth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

SKY changed my IP?

i've been sky a good few months now and things have been fairly ok if u discount the disconnecting etc but it now seems to have stabalised. Now i have a new problem and wonder if anyone else has had it. The problem is this: 2 days ago i rebooted my router and found my IP had changed ( my real IP not the internal 192.168. bla bla one) i've since rebooted router several times and found it reverted back to the original range. i use some IP specific programs and find this a great pain and furthermore why has this only just begun to happen?
      I,ve rebooted router lots of times b4 and the 1st 3 ocelets of my IP have remained the same. Any one else had this?
      ST34LTH

2. Advertisement
      indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: SKY changed my IP?

Sky uses a Dynamic IP addressing system, so they can change your IP address if necessary. There is nothing to suggest that you will get the same IP address everytime you log on to the systems, however if you dont reset your broadband box, you will get the same address. if you have reset your box recently, or had it disconnected for more than 10 mins, its likely you'll get a diffrent address

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes i understand that part but if i reboot router again it seems to alternate between the 2 ranges.90.124.x.x and 90.208.x.x with the 3rd ocelot static too only the last digit is dynamic. i find it odd that it swaps between the two ranges when it hasnt done for around 6 months previously.
      ST34LTH

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

furthermore why has this only just begun to happen?
      I am surprised you have just noticed this, as has been mentioned, Sky do not give out static addresses. If you have managed to keep the same address for months then that has been pure luck. If you need a permanent IP then you would need to use a dynamic DNS service.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah well thanks for info. At least I know i'm not going mad lol. cheers
      ST34LTH

Synthetic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thsi happened to me last week actually, i usualyl have the same range, just the last ocelot changed, but the whole thing changed, so its not jsut you!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Yes i understand that part but if i reboot router again it seems to alternate between the 2 ranges.90.124.x.x and 90.208.x.x with the 3rd ocelot static too only the last digit is dynamic.
      Sky 'own' the address range from 90.192.0.0 to 90.223.255.255, I think you are probably allocated any address within this range although some may be reserved for specific users. I did think at one time the addresses were assigned regionally, but as my present address puts me in Bedfordshire, I don't think this can be the case. I have come to the conclusion that the database is not constantly updated, so the address I have now was previously that of a Sky user near Luton.

I don't see how you could get a 90.124.. address as this belongs to a French TV company, unless it is just a front and is actually BSkyB.

I am intrigued by the use of the word 'ocelot', is this not an American leopard? Or am I missing something?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

configure a DynDNS account on the router and then u use the DynDNS address instead of an ip address in your ip-specific software and it'll always change in relation to the dynamic ip

i did this recently and its a lot less complicated!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I am intrigued by the use of the word 'ocelot', is this not an American leopard? Or am I missing something?
      I think he must have meant "octet" which is an 8-bit byte.