Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New DG934G and Vista

This is a discussion on New DG934G and Vista within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi everyone, We just got Sky broadband after being long term customers with Freeserve / Wanadoo / Orange (started having ...

Gibbonius is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New DG934G and Vista

Hi everyone,

We just got Sky broadband after being long term customers with Freeserve / Wanadoo / Orange (started having connection reliability with the latter and they couldn't care less).

Anyway that's beside the point. We got the new DG934G router and switched on this week. No problems connecting three XP laptops all with different Wireless NICs.

When it came to connecting a Vista desktop, though, it's been a different story. I've tried every solution I can find for Vista networking problems - from playing with levels of encryption / wireless channels to tinkering in network settings and the registry. I'm getting to a point where I wonder whether it's possible to connect this router to the Vista desktop wirelessly.

I should add I've had no problem with the previous two routers (a BT Voyager and an Orange Livebox). With this one, Vista seems to randomly choose an error message each time so it's hard to work out what the actual problem is.

Most commonly, the report is "Wireless association failed due to an unknown reason," but less commonly it will blame poor wireless signal, no response from the router, incompatible settings, wrong wireless key and a few others. Also it will fail to see the network on occasion. This is not a wireless range issue because we moved the router closer and even before moving it, a laptop will get an excellent signal near the PC and when the network is detected, it is with 'very good' signal.

Any suggestions appreciated. It's also a real shame about having to use the Sky router because the Livebox would no doubt still work perfectly.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: New DG934G and Vista

i assume it works fine via ethernet? if so, you might have to just put up with that until you get the PC in working order...sounds like a Vista issue rather than a Sky one
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Any suggestions appreciated. It's also a real shame about having to use the Sky router because the Livebox would no doubt still work perfectly.
      Why not use it then? Oh, like the Sky one it is locked to it's ISP, people forget that some other ISPs supply locked routers. Some even want them back if you leave, no matter how long you stay with them. If you have not had to return it, maybe you can unlock it. Details of how it can be done can be found HERE

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yeah, but that won't help them get their Sky connection username and password.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

James67 is right; the Orange Livebox is not locked. Hence if I could get the Sky username and password - and it were allowed - I would be able to use it.

Thanks

OOps, I missed the part about it being the new router.

Just a suggestion, but if your Livebox is unlocked, is it not possible to connect it to the Netgear by ethernet, then connect your PCs to it wirelessly. You would obviously have to turn of the wireless AP in the Netgear. I am sure James could help you with this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Kevint is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My Vista desktop connects fine to my DG934G. You might want to check you have the latest Vista drivers for whatever your wireless hardware is.

Kevin

Thanks

Forgot to add, are you using the adapter software to try to connect, or Vista's built in utility. If you are not using Vista's, try it. Open the Network and sharing centre and use the links in the left pane.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers Kevint, I was hoping somebody would turn up and say that it didn't work with their Vista either so your news.

There must be something wrong with my wireless NIC and the Netgear router. Might not have much at all to do with Vista (although then again, Vista drivers are probably the key).

We just got off the phone with a customer service rep and after making me go through the same thing about 6 times (they weren't sure about what to press in Vista) she told me to get a new network card.

Kevint is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

fwiw I used Vista's built in utility to connect..

Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast