Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

wireless speed down by half

This is a discussion on wireless speed down by half within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Evening all can anyone explain why my wireless connection would slow by half? i have a desktop pc connected to ...

Pete is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Laindon,Essex
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max 14714 kbps
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

wireless speed down by half

Evening all

can anyone explain why my wireless connection would slow by half?

i have a desktop pc connected to the sky router via ethernet and i get 12.7mb download speeds almost all of the time, i also have a wireless lap top connected via the built in wi-fi, and up untill recently i was getting the same downloads speeds as the desktop pc.

i now only get a crawl at worst and 4.8mb at best. ive run the tcp optimizer with no affect and also a system restore with no effect. ive searched for other wirless networks and found mine plus a further 3 connections. there were only 2 when i origanly set up the network and was wondering if changing the channel would help. problem is that when i log on to the rouuter and go to the wireless settings the drop down box displaying the channel is greyed out and im unable to change it. it tells me im on channel 6

any advice or fixes would be very much appreiciated

thanks Pete

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: wireless speed down by half

TCPOptimizer works for wired only AFAIK - as for wireless, don't use it if you can help it as it's rubbish and it'll literally work fine one minute then not the next, as you've found out.....

bar trying to move the router about to help throughput there's not much that can be done - bar using ur own router and risking Sky finding out and doing something about it
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      TCPOptimizer works for wired only AFAIK
      TCPOptimizer has no impact on the connection method. It makes changes to the network/internet settings on the PC it is run on i.e. any changes made are independent of whether a wireless or wired connection is used.

scoop is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEBDT
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: DGND3700 V2
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I had similar problem recently. Eventually tracked it down to a program I have been using on my computer for years "Proxomotron" It had something to do with the adsl2+ channel and the program not liking it. I realise you may not be using this program but i suspect if you are using any proxy program to block adverts and pop ups it may have the same effect by cutting your throughput to your wireless conection. A search via google may be of help to you as it was to me. I found a patch for the program which seems to have fixed the problem. On the other hand it may be totally unconected to your problem but just putting my 2 pennys worth in.

Regards
      Scoop

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

ive searched for other wirless networks and found mine plus a further 3 connections. there were only 2 when i origanly set up the network
      I think this may be one of the reasons you have slowed down. Try resetting the router by sticking a biro in the little hole at the back for a few seconds. This may unlock the channels. Also you could try downloading Netstumbler this will give you an idea what channels others around you are using.

Unfortunately, more and more people are using wireless broadband now and if someone near you has a real ding-dong-up-to-date-high-power router it will affect your signal. All you can do is find a channel as far from them as possible.

I have just realized that to change the channel you have to be in g&b mode, I think you are probably in Auto108 mode. Resetting will change it back to default, but it is easier just changing it in the Wireless settings.
      Last edited by Isitme; 19-11-07 at 05:09 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      bar using ur own router and risking Sky finding out and doing something about it
      I suppose the legitimate thing to do would be to disable the wireless on the Sky router, and get yourself a "ding-dong-up-to-date-high-power" access point and plug it into the router using an Ethernet cable.

Pete is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Laindon,Essex
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max 14714 kbps
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

thanks for you input

i have tried to use net stumbler but i get a message saying no card found. it is in the device menu but unsuported.

a "ding-dong-up-to-date-high-power" access point seems to be a slight over kill

i have been through all the router channels changing it and then testing the connection with no difference at all

just seems strange that i get this problem for no apparent reason

anyway will keep trying to sort out...

thanks again