Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless With No Security?

This is a discussion on Wireless With No Security? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; So, I thought id test how many would connect. Since this morning, I opened the wireless and blocked some sites ...

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Wireless With No Security?

So, I thought id test how many would connect.

Since this morning, I opened the wireless and blocked some sites and made sure everything on my end was secured..

So far, 5 people are also using the wireless 2 of whom have been online since a while now.
      I dont mind, My browsing hasnt been affected, So wondering,

a) Is there any laws against me leaving the wireless open?
      b) Does Sky have any limits to having the wireless open?

2. Advertisement
      Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Wireless With No Security?

Technically there are laws against using someone else's wireless connection, been a few arrests in the UK about it.

However those are all based on people using it when the owner of the router didn't want them to.
      e.g. Guy in a car using free wireless from a cafe shop, without buying a drink before hand!

There probably are laws against leaving them open, I'm pretty sure it would go against T&C's from Sky, I know BT have started a system whereby you can allow some bandwidth to be assigned for anyone's use, and that the coders of that software took an age to get anyone to agree to...

That's a long way of saying the legal issues are murky as not many people want to allow access...

Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Technically there are laws against using someone else's wireless connection, been a few arrests in the UK about it.
      Yes, The only two arrests have been have all occured where I live? :weird: lmao..

Its illegal to use it when open without permission, But if I allow it? Then they cant get "done" I suppose?
      Maybe I should change the WiFi name to, Open4ADay lmao.. Make it clear that anyone can use it??

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FibreOptic View Post
      a) Is there any laws against me leaving the wireless open?
      In theory yes. If you are acting as a service provider, which by offering Internet access to the public you could well be, you have certain obligations to fulfill. One of which is to be able to comply with a RIPA request. If someone used your connection for lets say terrorism purposes, you could be ask to provide details of who was connected. If you don't have this information, the authorities don't have their smilie faces on

RIPA sets out legislation on the interception of communications in the UK. The powers are set out in Chapter II of Part I of the Act, sections 21 to 25. These give law enforcement and other public authorities the ability to require service providers, to hand over information about the use of their networks. The Government have indicated that for the types of information covered these powers should replace the previous arrangements under section 29(3) of the Data Protection Act (DPA) which allowed law enforcement authorities to request that information be handed over to them.

Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

^^ Thanks for that!

PS. Damn, 8 DHCP Devices connected atm!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could also have some sleezy B download kiddie p@@@, for that you get jail time. Don't worry though the way things are going all Her Majesty's guests will get free broadband very soon.

Not a very good idea, unless you know who is using it and you can trust them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

What I find weird is, We live on a street which only has 4 houses and is surrounded by fields, Like a big massive bushy field around, So I wonder if anyone is sat in those bushes connecting?

I have been watching the ports and seeing who is using what to connect and all seems to be HTTP data, But to be on the safe side, I have disabled it and put it back to normal.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

There's no law against operating an open wireless network. I suppose technically, you might be recognised as a Communications Service Provider, but you wouldn't be under any obligation to retain usage information under the RIP Act or anything like that unless the Home Office served notice on you to do so.

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      There's no law against operating an open wireless network. I suppose technically, you might be recognised as a Communications Service Provider, but you wouldn't be under any obligation to retain usage information under the RIP Act or anything like that unless the Home Office served notice on you to do so.
      True, there is no law against it, and it would be difficult to claim that an open access point is a public communications network. However, RIPA also covers private communications network (although the regulations are different).

The RIPA in Part 1 chapter II (for private networks) sets out rules regarding acquisition and disclosure of communications data. Communications data refers mainly to traffic data and not to the content of messages. This includes numbers dialled, email addresses, and time of communications, but not the content of messages. Certain public authorities (for example the police, the Inland Revenue, Customs and Excise authorities) may request that communications data is obtained by a service provider and disclosed to them for specified purposes e.g. prevention of crime.

As you mention there is no requirement to retain data. However, most organisation do voluntarily, as its only sensible.

Anyway I wasn't really that serious, it would be unlikely that you would get a RIPA request (would be funny though). Its more likely if someone did something dodgy enough to get police attention, authorities wouldn't bother with a RIPA request and just dawn raid your house and cart off your computers . However, its not wise to have open wireless networks.
      Last edited by armitasp; 09-11-07 at 09:05 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have disabled it and put it back to normal
      Now the whole village is phoning their ISPs to find out why their broadband is down.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast