Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have a noisy line and my connection drops out when i pick up the phone :(

This is a discussion on I have a noisy line and my connection drops out when i pick up the phone :( within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey guys how are you? Its my first post here I've been browsing the forums for the past month. Just ...

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Exclamation I have a noisy line and my connection drops out when i pick up the phone :(

Hey guys how are you?

Its my first post here

I've been browsing the forums for the past month. Just wanted to say thankyou - this is one of the best forums out there dedicated to sky and broadband.

Now my problem is i downloaded the UberGT Firmware works like a treat my noise margin never drops below 7.0 (well it has not for 4 hours fingers crossed )

But whenever i pick up the phone or receive one my internet drops out. The wireless light stays on but the internet light vanishes then its a nightmare trying to get it to connect again .

I heard this could be because i have a noisy line if so is there a way to fix it?

Here are my router stats

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 160 Kbps, Downstream rate = 3168 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 9.9 7.0
      Attn(dB): 57.0 31.5
      Pwr(dBm): 18.1 11.6
      Max(Kbps): 3488 224
      Rate (Kbps): 3168 160
      G.dmt framing
      K: 100(0) 6
      R: 16 16
      S: 2 16
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 100 6
      M: 2 16
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 2.1584 18.2857
      L: 808 56
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 90680 90683
      SFErr: 900 0
      RS: 3083152 384901
      RSCorr: 32320 485
      RSUnCorr: 25291 0

HEC: 345 0
      OCD: 60 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 11428777 0
      Data Cells: 188659 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 54 0
      SES: 19 0
      UAS: 69 0
      AS: 1541

INP: 5.06 9.14
      PER: 1.88 2.00
      delay: 34.53 36.57
      OR: 29.65 28.00

Bitswap: 0 0

Total time = 27 min 18 sec
      SF = 90680
      CRC = 900
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 54
      Latest 1 day time = 27 min 18 sec
      SF = 90680
      CRC = 900
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 54
      Latest 15 minutes time = 12 min 18 sec
      SF = 43424
      CRC = 768
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 41
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 47256
      CRC = 132
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 13
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Showtime Drop Reason: 8000
      Last Retrain Reason: 8000

Hope this helps.

Thanks
      Monday

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: I have a noisy line and my conncetion drops out when i pick up the phone :(

Quote Originally Posted by Mondday View Post
      But whenever i pick up the phone or receive one my internet drops out. The wireless light stays on but the internet light vanishes then its a nightmare trying to get it to connect again .

I heard this could be because i have a noisy line if so is there a way to fix it?
      Maybe.

Far more likely is that you have a faulty or incorrectly fitted microfilter OR a faulty phone (less likely). Exchange problems can cause the symptoms you describe but that's probably the least likely.

Plug your router into your master socket using a supplied microfilter and connect a phone to it as well - do not connect with a extension lead or splitter. Make a call and if it doesn't fall over then you weren't connecting the filter properly or had one missing somewhere on another device. If it does fall over again, swap the filter. If it still happens, disconnect the phone and call via a mobile or get a mate to call you. If it doesn't fall over then it's a faulty phone. If it does then you have an exchange problem (probably).
      Last edited by Saturday; 05-11-07 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Maybe. Far more likely is that you have a faulty or incorrectly fitted microfilter OR a faulty phone (less likely).
      I've used every microfilter i've got in the house (8) But tried 6

Exchange:
      Thanks

Try and eliminate all possible causes as suggested above. If it's not a faulty filter that leaves missing (every device must have one e.g. your digibox) or incorrectly fitted (easy to do if you're using a plug in extension - which is bad news by the way). If you still have problems, then you need to eliminate the phone as a possible cause.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Try and eliminate all possible causes as suggested above. If it's not a faulty filter that leaves missing (every device must have one e.g. your digibox) or incorrectly fitted (easy to do if you're using a plug in extension - which is bad news by the way). If you still have problems, then you need to eliminate the phone as a possible cause.
      Thanks i only have one phone socket and in that i have my diggy box my phone and the cable from the router i am using a extension BTW. I've got all of that plugged into a filter.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The symptoms you describe are classic for a missing/faulty/incorrectly fitted filter. Follow the instructions - I suspect you have the phone/digibox and router connected into the unfiltered connection.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

The symptoms you describe are classic for a missing/faulty/incorrectly fitted filter. Follow the instructions - I suspect you have the phone/digibox and router connected into the unfiltered connection.
      Ok heres my current setup

I have the filter Plugged into the master filter - i dont have a test socket (house was made in 1939 ). The the ADSL line into the ADSL socket in the filter. I have the Sky box plugged into the phone socket then the phone plugged into the splitter on the sky box cable.

What am i doing wrong?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you don't have another socket with something plugged into it without a filter, you are doing nothing wrong. Unfortunately as you have "upgraded" your router firmware Sky CS will not help as you will not be able to carry out the 'Sky Tests'. If you have carried out the tests recommended by Saturday, without a result and you have not got a NTE5 master socket, it is difficult to say what you should do, other than get an up to date socket fitted. If you have the original BT installation, they may do it free of charge if you complain about noise on the voice line. What was your problem before that you felt it necessary to "upgrade" the firmware?

Do not mention Sky Broadband if you speak to BT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you don't have another socket with something plugged into it without a filter, you are doing nothing wrong. Unfortunately as you have "upgraded" your router firmware Sky CS will not help as you will not be able to carry out the 'Sky Tests'. If you have carried out the tests recommended by Saturday, without a result and you have not got a NTE5 master socket, it is difficult to say what you should do, other than get an up to date socket fitted. If you have the original BT installation, they may do it free of charge if you complain about noise on the voice line. What was your problem before that you felt it necessary to "upgrade" the firmware?

Do not mention Sky Broadband if you speak to BT.
      Constant disconnections .

Also sky will not help me because i have upgraded my firmware ?

Isnt that a bit like buying a computer from dell and dell expecting me not to use the windows update feature?
      Last edited by Monday; 05-11-07 at 10:06 PM. Reason: needed to add extra

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK, one more time. Have you run the tests?

There are only so many likely causes before it must be something very unusual. Disconnections can be caused by many things. Coincident with the phone ringing or being used is much more specific.

If it's not a filter or how it's fitted then it's the phone. If it's neither of those then it's an exchange fault. 95% of the time it will be one of those three. After that you're looking at a strange line noise issue which I think would be more evident in your stats - which are pretty poor - not helped at all by that extension.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast