Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Simply cant connect to router

This is a discussion on Simply cant connect to router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, like many people this is now doing my head in, i have a wireless enabled laptop that connects to ...

ashlosecontrol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Simply cant connect to router

Hi, like many people this is now doing my head in, i have a wireless enabled laptop that connects to any wirless access point i have tried before, ive set up my HP pavillion laptop with ethernet cable to router. The wireless connection appears as SKY... and i press connect with the correct SSID and KEY, and it just trys to connect for few minutes and stops,comes up with no error messages or anything, the connection bar is 3/4 full. Any ideas please?

I have 'sky connect' by the way, and works fine with ethernet cable

2. Advertisement
      madcat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Simply cant connect to router

Hi can you connect to the router using the yellow ethernet cable, login to the admin page (192.168.0.1) basically do this by opening internet explorer typing in them numbers in address bar, username is Admin password is sky then on right hand side you will see wireless settings, set that to disable and then apply the changes, restart the pc and try connecting to wireless again (shouldnt ask you for a network key),

if you get connected fine, repeat same steps but this time select WEP, then enter the passphrase from the key1 box as the network key in your windows.

if your unable to connect with wireless disabled i would phone up get a new box out to you.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sorry forgot to add sounds like your using WPA-PSK and its not running correctly on your setup, believe its not supported on all wireless adapters.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,cheers for help so quick, i tried the first thing you said but still would not connect with not having to enter anything. Have put it back to secure for now, so this other thing,would it be worth changing that to something else if maybe my wireless adapter doesnt support it?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sorry you were able to connect using the encryption disabled? but when you tried to use wep it went back to how it was before?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No i wasnt able to connect with encryption disabled. Can i ask, does the wireless light on router only light up when it is connected with another computer wirelessly? or should it be on soon as turn router on?,,,,am thinking the last thing now to do is ring sky, is there a freephone though do you know by any chance?

can i just add, i tried turning off anti virus software,and firewall,and it did connect at 56 mps wrelessly, however as soon as i turned them back on it dissconnected. However if i do the same now, it wont connect like it did before, weird?
      Last edited by ashlosecontrol; 29-10-07 at 04:43 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The wireless light should be on all the time, whether a PC is connected or not. You have not accidentally disabled it have you? Check that 'Enable wireless access point' is ticked in the wireless settings.

If you are able to connect with the firewall off, then that is what is stopping you connecting. Make sure in your firewall settings, that access is allowed to the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Might sound stupid but how to i allow access to router on windows firewall?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, since yesterday iv managed to get it working, i changed to channel 11 from 6 on router settings,and that seemed to make it work,touch wood, however since messing about with windows firewall,even though it says its on, windows secruity alert comes up saying its off?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You did not say if your wireless light is on all the time or if it is going off.

If you are only using the Windows firewall it is unlikely to be stopping you connecting, except maybe if you are running Vista. The Windows firewall should be advising you if it is blocking you, check that the box on the firewall Settings is ticked to notify you when a program is blocked.

If you are running Vista, go to the Network Sharing centre and make sure you are set up for a Private Network and that Network Discovery is turned on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

the wirelss light is on all the time, slightly confusing over whether the tick should be lit up,but read manual, that doesnt light up, my mistake,,,,,,,,,,,regarding firewall, i have XP running, the firewall on the router is on, the windows firewall says its on but when start pc,windows secruity alert is saying windows firewall is off, but that is not the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast