Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is my router faulty?

This is a discussion on Is my router faulty? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've been putting up with this for a few months but its getting worse. First i get plenty of CRC ...

gadgesxi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Is my router faulty?

I've been putting up with this for a few months but its getting worse.
      First i get plenty of CRC errors and although i have been through all the wiring tests internally, i think the CRC errors are between my house and exchange. To solve this i have to reboot the router when it gets slow, after reboot i get full speed again.

Secondly, after rebooting, alot of the time the laptop cannot see a wireless connection. Last night i rebooted and the laptop could see other wireless networks in my area except mine. I checked my router and the wireless icon was not lit.

I also have a second desktop pc in the shed acting as a server for cctv, that has a usb wireless adaptor in it. After rebooting the router, this pc doesn't see the router and i always have to reboot the pc, but i think this my be a case of poor wireless signal.

Can anyone help?

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Is my router faulty?

The first issue is pretty common and is caused by a deficiency in the current software on the Sky router. A software update is currently being tested by Sky and will hopefully be available "real soon now".

As a work around, you can contact Sky who will "cap" your line speed, i.e., force the router to connect at a speed lower than what it otherwise would. This has the effect of increasing the noise margin value which gives the router more "headroom" to copy with noise and interference on the phone line.

Alternatively, and preferably, you can use the Mognuts Utility to change the target noise margin from 7db to a higher value. This has a similar effect (slower speed, but more "headroom" to cope with interference) but has the advantage that it isn't a permanent change - rebooting the router returns it to the previous 7db target noise margin. This is a good thing because when the software update is finally released (your router will update itself automatically, by the way), you'll be back running at the highest speed possible for your line whilst enjoying the reliability improvement which the software update should offer.

As for the second issue, how are you rebooting your router? If you're just switching the power off then on again, it's possible that the wireless networking circuitry in the router isn't powering down properly and is getting into a non-working state. Always give the router at least 15 seconds without power in order to reset it reliably.

The third problem sounds like it might be an issue with the wireless driver code on the PC in the shed. If it loses the signal from the router, it should re-acquire it when the router comes back on, but it sounds like this isn't happening. Check for any updates for the driver, or use a different wireless networking adapter.

gadgesxi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Is my router faulty?

thanks jim