Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DHCP problems with Vista laptop

This is a discussion on DHCP problems with Vista laptop within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have through many websites regarding connecting Vista to a non-Microsoft DHCP server/router, but none of the suggested solutions have ...

simpsons245 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

DHCP problems with Vista laptop

I have through many websites regarding connecting Vista to a non-Microsoft DHCP server/router, but none of the suggested solutions have fixed the problem. I am thinking it is my Sky DG834GT router causing the problems as my XP laptop works fine.

I have tried disabling the broadcast on Vista and I think a few weeks back I setup a Netgear DG834 wireless network using Vista, so it must work. I didn't take much notice of it then as I thought there would be no problem connecting (wirelessly) at home. Neither wireless or wired connections get a DHCP address. Assigining a static address works, but I have VPN's and want to use DHCP.

Does anyone else have a problem with connecting the DG834GT to a Vista client PC? First thought was upgrade the firmware, but reading other threads it doesn't sound like there is another firmware (currently on v1.02.28). Any help much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Mitridate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Belgravia
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: DHCP problems with Vista laptop

Welcome to the club! Same prob's here. Netgear provided support by appreciating my continued patience:

10/22/2007 10:05:00 PM

Agent Id: 1186

Dear Mitridate,

My name is Naveen and I am following up on your support case.

We apologise to inform you that the router has been custom made for the SKY ISP and the support and warranty for the product is provided by SKY support only.

Again, thanks for choosing NETGEAR and we appreciate your continued patience.

Regards,

Naveen
      NETGEAR Support

Fact is my Vista laptop (Thinkpad X61) doesn't like certain routers (firmware?): eg Linksys, Netgear
      It works fine with Belkin and a 4 year old Acer (no SPI firewall).
      Some say problems are related to SPI router firewalls. Let's see what Sky BB has to say.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you'll get nothing out of tech support - no one is trained in the settings of the firewall.....you might get lucky and have someone who may know but i doubt it
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Lywyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Neston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simpsons245 View Post
      I have tried disabling the broadcast on Vista and I think a few weeks back
      Just to confirm that when you disabled the DHCP in Vista, did you following the instructions in KB928233? And if so did you ignore the main bit and do the fix in the "small print".

Quote Originally Posted by KB928233
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}

Value name: DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag
      Value type: REG_DWORD
      Value data: 0
      Only asking as a few people I've spoken to have made the mistake of trying to toggle the broadcast flag (DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle) rather than disable it.

Had exactly same issue on Zyxel router I was fixing for someone. It worked when I set it up but then Vista applied some updates via WU and then suddenly no more DHCP until I did the fix. That may be why you have had the router working in the past because the update that breaks DHCP was apparently issued in September 2007.

HTH

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I figured that Sky tech supp would not help much from previous calls about the sky+ box and broadband. I guess the only possible option is to replace it for a new broadband box, but they'll say it's not their problem anyway.

With regards to the 928233 fix, I had to create the "Toggle" flag and set it to 1, and amend the "Broadcast" flag and set it to 0 (is this disabling it?)

I vaguley remember that the DG834 I connected to was "Vista compliant" whereas I doubt the year old Sky box is. I think the only solutions are Vista SP1, a new sky router or upgrade in firmware for existing router but don't know which will come first.

Lywyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Neston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simpsons245 View Post
      With regards to the 928233 fix, I had to create the "Toggle" flag and set it to 1, and amend the "Broadcast" flag and set it to 0 (is this disabling it?)
      The toggle flag is useless if the router does not support the broadcast flag. Setting DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag = 0 is the best option as it disables the use of the broadcast flag for DHCP requests. You have to reboot Vista or disable/enable the network computer for it to work. The computer I was fixing was stuck in network connection window saying "identifying network" then eventually gave up and assigned a private address.

I agree about the firmware, it's unlikely it has the support (or ever will?).

To prove it was Vista I manually configured the IP address on network connection (just pick an IP address and set default gateway to the routers address) then logon to router and see if that works. If it does then it proves the router is fine and will allow you to check the DHCP settings.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah I figured that the router probably doesn't support the broadcast requests made by Vista. I received a call from Sky Tech Supp on Friday to talk through the problem. He suggested resetting the router, which I did but it made no difference. He had no further suggestions, and was trying to suggest it was the laptop at fault (not worth spending the time on it at that point) so I gave up and we finished the call. I then tried resetting the router again and once it booted the laptop got a DHCP address.

Next day I boot up and try and reconnect but same old problem again. So it seems as though I need to reset the router each time! I'll try again later to see if it works.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have a look at THIS paper by MS on Vista Networking, it may give you a clue. The relevant part starts at Page 10.

You might also want to try THIS method of configuring Vista for a manual IP.

Have just been helping a friend this morning to configure his Compaq laptop for Yahoo mail. It connected wirelessly with no problems at all. I put in the security key when requested and that was it. Not much help I know, but it does show that Vista can connect to the router with little effort.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.