Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Random solution for me...

This is a discussion on Random solution for me... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey guys, just thought you might like to hear about my particular problems and solution. 1st problem: I'm fairly sure ...

DanLea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Euston
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Lightbulb Random solution for me...

Hey guys, just thought you might like to hear about my particular problems and solution.

1st problem: I'm fairly sure my case wasn't helped by my nasty long wind-up telephone extension cable. Solution: After purchasing a decent 5m (just the right length) rj11 cable the error rate dropped massively.

2nd problem: There were still a fair number of errors occurring. I'm guessing these are due to various nasties arising from living in a block of flats since the noise margin really should have resulted in a very low error rate. Solution: Up the target noise margin using URL injection (available at Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4). This reduced the error rate to something reasonable, and I'm quite happy with a connection at 12Mbps (noise margin is now 13dB up and down!).

3rd problem: HOWEVER, by far the biggest problem for me was the intermittent but frequent slowdowns with wireless. The UPnP setting didn't make any difference to this, but a 802.11b wirelessly connected computer didn't appear to suffer from this, though it is situated much closer to the router. When I say wireless slowdowns, I don't mean that the connection speed to the router would drop to 11Mbps or anything like that, I mean accessing any pages, including the Sky router admin pages was ULTRA slow, i.e. little to no response, with only bursts of a few KB coming through. Then of course, sometimes it was perfect. The issue here is that I NEVER have this problem with my 2wire 1800HG. So for the past year I had been using that (also spoofing the Sky Router MAC address as a precaution). This meant of course that I had to use G.DMT and was stuck at 8Mbps and pings of 45ms ("Oh, boohoo for you" I hear some of you say).

Solution: I have just realised that I can connect my 2wire router to the Sky router via ethernet and have a happy wireless connection whilst enjoying the benefits of using the Sky router as a modem. There may be issues I'll come across with this setup, but for now I seem to have decent system.

Comments and questions are welcome.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Random solution for me...

Quote Originally Posted by DanLea View Post
      Solution: I have just realised that I can connect my 2wire router to the Sky router via ethernet and have a happy wireless connection whilst enjoying the benefits of using the Sky router as a modem. There may be issues I'll come across with this setup, but for now I seem to have decent system.
      There's a phrase you don't read too often.

Yeah, wireless networking on the Sky router is pretty poor and using basically almost anything as a wireless access point is going to do a better job of it.