Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Sky's new router?

This is a discussion on Sky's new router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; It is actually rather hard to work out how they might do this in practice. I suppose one approach would ...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky's new router?

It is actually rather hard to work out how they might do this in practice. I suppose one approach would be to modify the bootstrap code (which is held in a protected part of flash memory) so that it checks the flash for some kind of signature, and if that check fails, it clears the area being using as nvram.

But why bother? Do their systems suffer as a result of people using non Sky routers? Is their exchange equipment damaged when someone connects, say, a Belkin router to their phone line? Of course not. What actually happens is that Sky saves a load of money that they otherwise would have had to spend on customer support and they have a happy customer rather than an angry customer. What part of that do Sky have a problem with?

If there's any one from Sky reading this, then listen up. You listened to the gamers and changed your policy. Now it's time to listen to me and drop this ridiculous fixation with forcing customers to use your router.

I mean how much do you have to suffer before you learn your lesson? You've got a million customers and (almost) every one of them has been supplied with a router that comes with dodgy software. OK, not everyone's connection has actually suffered as a result of this software, but I'd guess that because of the nature of the problem, a very large minority of customer are affected by it. Some may pester customer service over it (and even with 0870 revenue sharing, CS is still an overhead). Other may just criticise the service to people they know who are thinking of joining Sky. All this is taking money out of your pocket. And it doesn't need to be like that.

I mean at the end of the bleedin' day, why not just do what every other broadband supplier does and let people get their own router rather than just sending them the piece of crap you sent me. "But then people would have to configure the router before they can connect to the internet." Yeah, that's true, but have you had a look at the instructions for setting up Outlook Express to collect Sky mail? Have you? Because if someone's struggling to type in a connection username and password into their router, then there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that they're going to be able use their email.

Just take a look around at the rest of the broadband market and stop acting like a bunch of stupid, ill-informed idiots. You'll end up with happier customers and you'll make more money.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^
      I second that!

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

orange only let u use their router too....

personally, i couldn't care less if a user is using another router - you just say sorry we don't support it and that's that, same with wireless adapters. but at the same time, it means i only have to deal with what i'm trained to do and don't get arsey customers kicking off cause they cant set up their own router properly

i'll say again what i did a long time ago - Sky's target market are existing customers who just want a cheap, fast broadband service, NOT avid gamers/downloaders wanting to rinse it for all it's worth and save a few bob...

ok, changes are being made but for the time being just let it go and eventually it'll get sorted...IF you're that bothered, switch ISPs but then people would start complaining that they'e paying double...you can't have it both ways
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 01-11-07 at 12:10 PM.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If you want Sky to allow you to use any router on the market then you are going to have to accept Sky BB TS NOT supporting your router. Any questions that involve the router and any steps outside the basic power it off a couple of minutes will be refused.
      Sky cannot be held responsible for routers they do not supply, if customers want to use their own equipment fair enough, they send the Sky router back and it's marked on their account that they can only be given limited support.
      Personally I have no problems what equipment is in use as long as the end user admits to it and accepts that we cannot support it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you want Sky to allow you to use any router on the market then you are going to have to accept Sky BB TS NOT supporting your router
      The problem is that if you don't use the Sky router, you are likely to be refused support of any kind, even if it is not router related.
      I wonder how all these ISPs with no preferred router manage to give technical support

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky.Craig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hey guys,

The new routers have been sent out on what I understand as a trial basis. We have been supplied with the information for these routers so it doesn't look like an error... but there must be a low amount of them out there as I've not had a single customer have one.

Sky do push to have all customers on the ISP's router for support reasons, I can understand your point that if a learned computer user does wish to use their own router (one that best fits their personal computing needs) that they should be able to take on that responsibility to do so... and this is definitely something I am going to speak to my superiors about as I have had a number of customers inquire in to this.

Thanks,
      Craig
      Last edited by Sky.Craig; 01-11-07 at 06:36 PM.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      orange only let u use their router too....
      No they don't I just set up my mates Orange broadband tonight and his username and password came in the welcome pack.
      It doe's seem Sky are trying to lock down the routers even further than they already are! It wouldn't supprise me if that isn't the case with the old router as well when they update the firmware which is a shame because it will rule out any self diagnosis like extracting stats etc, and trying to sort problems out on forums like this, which in turn will increase there calls for support wont it???

madcat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i feel that sky are doing more or less the correct thing, by using our supplied router we only have 1 item to troubleshoot, if i get a customer who is using a diffrent router then great but they are on their own.

i now feel that end users who are fairly new should definately be using the sky existing system, these are more likely to need technical support, on the other hand if you need a more advanced / better router you should be technically minded enough to be able to setup & configure it yourself without any tech support and personally have no problem with users who do this.

i feel sky could give you the username and the password but this may affect deals with netgear which is why the service is able to be run so cheaply (educated guess), now look at Virgin media they supply the box and if your not happy your welcome to get a diffrent one but you get NO support unless your line is dead.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      No they don't I just set up my mates Orange broadband tonight and his username and password came in the welcome pack.
      It doe's seem Sky are trying to lock down the routers even further than they already are! It wouldn't supprise me if that isn't the case with the old router as well when they update the firmware which is a shame because it will rule out any self diagnosis like extracting stats etc, and trying to sort problems out on forums like this, which in turn will increase there calls for support wont it???
      friend of mine on Orange (doesnt wanna go offnet) said that orange made him use their router...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sky.Craig View Post
      Hey guys,

The new routers have been sent out on what I understand as a trial basis. We have been supplied with the information for these routers so it doesn't look like an error... but there must be a low amount of them out there as I've not had a single customer have one.

Sky do push to have all customers on the ISP's router for support reasons, I can understand your point that if a learned computer user does wish to use their own router (one that best fits their personal computing needs) that they should be able to take on that responsibility to do so... and this is definitely something I am going to speak to my superiors about as I have had a number of customers inquire in to this.

Thanks,
      Craig
      it was a fault, non of the new routers should've gone out until ALL existing stock is gone - and even the new ones that have gone out have been a tad faulty from what i've had come across so far....gonna be a fun few months

and speaking to superiors ain't gonna do a thing as ive raised it many times and just got a flat no - and this is pretty much from one of the head guys...might happen eventually but not for the foreseeable future

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast