Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sky's new router?

This is a discussion on Sky's new router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by VEG Seems that the new router has a crap wireless range works fine when in the same ...

hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky's new router?

Quote Originally Posted by VEG View Post
      Seems that the new router has a crap wireless range works fine when in the same room as the router but not in next room never had probs using my d-link router
      I've not had any disconnects and have been running solid for a few days now. So the modem seems fine and good speeds (wired connection). However, i agree that the wireless part of this router isnt all that great.
      For starters, i get poor speeds (under 3meg) for a 10-11 meg connection. When connected via wired, its fine.
      Already tried changing the channels, forced G connections only etc....but still same results

I've also noticed the occasional change in speed with the wireless.
      I'm sure my previous netgear router was much better than this one. But unfortunately, no one out there has got a hack for this router in order to get the user/password ; that way i would switch back to an alternative router instantly!

Hopefully someone out there will provide a way of hacking these details

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

or just dont use wireless - simple fix as its a crap technology fit only for the bin!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      or just dont use wireless - simple fix as its a crap technology fit only for the bin!!
      LOL!! Too True!!

blisteringblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      LOL, that's what I like, concise and straight to the point !!

Wireless can work well but I personally find it best not to mix the flavours, ie the Sky V1 router is the 108mb GT version, so all our network cards (2 laptops) and a USB wireless adapter are all the same ie 108mb GT versions and wireless is almost as good as wired. OK you allow for some speed reduction but I test it quite often my copying several hundred mb over the wireless and it certainly does fly with the GT kit.

Also as posted before in this thread I have also upgraded my router antenna to the 5dbi Omni-Directional Netgear one.

Having said that I also use the Panasonic HD-PLC 170mbps powerline products to service my xbox collection in the front room and they work very well too if you want to get your connection into another room (but expect to pay around 100 for the higher speed power line products)
      Post Sky DLM and after some cowboy contracters and BT ruined my line quality (was 6mb pre DLM):

madcat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

from what i heard tonight i dont believe these were supposed to be released yet and there was some sort of problem / mess up at the wherehouse, but i cant prove how reliable this is.

as for dispatching routers i believe some are going at as sagem and some are netgear.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

From what we understand, it was a controlled release of the new router, to see what the calls / support were like for that particular day etc

At last it is in the open now, and I am sure some people will attempt to hack the firmware. From numerous reports we have been told, if the router is hacked, or flashed, the Username and Password will be erased from the router, therefore rendering it useless.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

VEG
      VEG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maesteg
      Thanks

Well after having been offline for 3 days after "THE NEW NETGEAR" router packing up i have been sent the old style one the wireless range is a lot better maybe just the one i had but wait and see if any more go wrong.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      At last it is in the open now, and I am sure some people will attempt to hack the firmware. From numerous reports we have been told, if the router is hacked, or flashed, the Username and Password will be erased from the router, therefore rendering it useless.
      Thus ensuring that if anything does go wrong with your router, you're guaranteed that it won't just be a trip down to PC World to get a new router, it'll be a one week wait to get a replacement. (And why does it take so long? If I order a DVD, it's sent later that day. If I order a new mobile, it's sent later that day. If I order a new router from Sky, they take anything up to four working days before handing it over to the courier for delivery. Why? Just why? It's shameful.)

Like I've said before, supplying a pre-configured router that you should be able to just plug in and go - that's a good idea. Forcing people to use their router is just plain idiotic. I challenge anyone to come up with any kind of rational logic or commercial advantage to doing that. The person who came up with that idea just doesn't have a clue about broadband. Presumably it's the same numbskull who came up with the idea of putting everyone on an interleaved connection, even if the line didn't warrant it.

There really is a grade-A clown somewhere in the decision-making process at Sky.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

From numerous reports we have been told, if the router is hacked, or flashed, the Username and Password will be erased from the router, therefore rendering it useless.
      So in effect they have built in a 'kill switch'? They must be very confident it is going to work flawlessly, as any router returned to them as faulty would seem to be useless if they can't access the firmware.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

VEG
      VEG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maesteg
      Thanks

Well they probably have the software that put it there in the first place, so would be able to re set it

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast