Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sky's new router?

This is a discussion on Sky's new router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Just got my router today and it is one of the new ones as well activation on friday but tried ...

VEG
      VEG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maesteg
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: Sky's new router?

Just got my router today and it is one of the new ones as well activation on friday but tried it just incase not able to connect yet but can view the settings pages

2. Advertisement
      hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Got switch on today; but after doing some speed tests (Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed), wasnt so impressed with the raw output. Now, looking at the sync speed around 10351kbps.
      The speed tests are returning between 2000kbps to 2500kbps....with the odd time 2885kbps at best.
      I am rite that i would expect alot better than this for this sync speed?
      This was around 7pm thru to 12am today. My noise margin isnt so good, the lowest has been 4 but normally dips back to 7......overall its been stable and no drop outs to date.

Any thoughts on the speed thou?; or is this what one would expect?

And here's my stats:

System Up Time: 01:28:15

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 551607 754567 0 14821 170797 01:26:29
      LAN 100M/Full 399 0 0 16 0 01:28:11
      WLAN 11M/54M 759713 557912 0 170529 14738 01:27:58
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10351 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33 db 9 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 14 db

I also tried Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 to get stats and username details.....but no joy
      Hope someone out there will crack this soon? As i'd fancy having the username/password to test other routers.
      Last edited by hyeung; 25-10-07 at 12:34 AM.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If your connection speed is below the maximum 15323 kbit/sec, then the noise margin will be low. You'd normally only see a noise margin figure above 7db if the line's been capped, or if it is capable of running faster than Sky's 16 Mbit/sec maximum (which, if you think about it, is the same thing really).

Your connection speed does look a little bit low for your attenuation figure, but you were unlikely to get the full 16 Mbit/sec with an attenuation figure of 33db.

Your working speeds of below 3 Mbit/sec are far too low for your connection speed. That suggests some kind of issue between the router and your PC. Wireless networking not working very efficiently, or inappropriate network settings (Windows XP's default network settings seem more suitable for a dial-up Internet connection, than for broadband).

Good to know that it's been reliable so far though.

hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

James,

Thanks for your advice mate!
      I tried connecting via cable and ...WoW! Retried the speed tests and i'm now getting 8Meg.
      I shut the router down and back....and its now resynced at 11073! (8:14am)
      Redid the speed tests and now get 9898kbps! SWWEET
      However, as its synced at a slightly higher speed, it's impacted my noise margin....its now floatting around 4-7db, i just hope its stable to handle this....Will leave this now for a day to see if i get any disconnects?
      If its stable, i guess this router is a winner!

I'll maybe try playing around the wireless settings again to see if i can get better speeds than 2meg?

Stats as follows:

System Up Time: 00:05:29

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 35762 63353 0 29613 374340 00:04:02
      LAN 100M/Full 65599 37565 0 286527 25312 00:05:25
      WLAN 11M/54M 153 0 0 144 0 00:05:11
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11073 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33 db 9 db
      Noise Margin 4 db 15 db

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If they've got the router software right this time, then it should be perfectly possible to carry on using the router even if the noise margin drops to close to 0db. The router uses an initial target noise margin of 7db when it connects. This gives it some "headroom" to cope if the noise on the line starts to increase (as it does over the course of a 24-hour day).

Changing the wireless channel number often helps - you can do this if you switch the router to it's "g only" or "b & g" modes rather than the "Auto 108Mbps" mode. Also just moving the router can help. Sometimes all you need to do is move it "10 centimetres to the left" or something like that.

But wireless will never give the reliability of wired networking. It's just a sad fact of life, I'm afraid.

blisteringblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If they get the firmware right on the original 834GT it should be able to cope with it too. I have my own 834GT that I used with BT before and if I load that one up with my sky settings it behaves perfectly with no connection drops, and it's using the latest netgear firmware.
      Post Sky DLM and after some cowboy contracters and BT ruined my line quality (was 6mb pre DLM):

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yup that's right. There's nothing inherently wrong with the V1 router hardware. (Well apart from the rather poor wireless implementation - I think the Atheros card works better with an auxiliary aerial rather than just a main aerial).

blisteringblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Yup that's right. There's nothing inherently wrong with the V1 router hardware. (Well apart from the rather poor wireless implementation - I think the Atheros card works better with an auxiliary aerial rather than just a main aerial).
      LOL, you are not wrong as mine is in the loft I use the Netgear ANT24O5 5 dBi Omni-directional Antenna and 10m of Low-Loss antenna cable to mount mine on the main chimney breast in the loft. From that I then get a perfect signal anywhere in the house.

I'm actually glad I got the v1 router (once they sort it) because I'd be stuffed with the new internal antenna version from the loft.
      Post Sky DLM and after some cowboy contracters and BT ruined my line quality (was 6mb pre DLM):

curve is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've got one of these new routers, but the wireless connection keeps dropping to my PC in just the next room. I've changed the channel to several of the different settings to no avail.

I'd really love to be able to go back to my other router. Any other ideas anyone?!

VEG
      VEG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maesteg
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Seems that the new router has a crap wireless range works fine when in the same room as the router but not in next room never had probs using my d-link router

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast