Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is my router faulty

This is a discussion on Is my router faulty within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ive been with Sky Max for about 3 months now and it has been perfect - no speed problems, no ...

Spinal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Is my router faulty

Ive been with Sky Max for about 3 months now and it has been perfect - no speed problems, no disconnects etc - its worked perfectly.

Until about 2-3 weeks ago - almost every night between about 7-8pm the connection just dies and disconnets.

Going to the router settings and clicking connect from the status popup does nothing.

If i unplug the router of reboot it via the diag page it reboots then connects as soon as it has rebooted.

I also tried - when this happens, to unplug the phone cable from the back of the router for a few mins and then plugh it back in - but 90% of the time the same thing it sits there and wont reconnect unless i reboot of switch the router off/on.

At first i thought it might be a problem with sky - but for it to happen every nigth at around the same time im starting to think something is wrong with the router.

Its almost as if it has a timer on it to disconnect every 24 hours.

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Is my router faulty

when online at this time, open the router status page then open the show stats button, keep an eye on the noise margin to see if it is dropping below 6db

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

ADSL lines are noisier at night than they are during the day, and this effect gets worse as you get closer to winter. It's all down to the changes in the D-layer of the ionosphere. And no, honestly, I'm not kidding.

The Sky router isn't very good at handling the increase in noise that you get at night-time and often the only way of getting a connection to start working again is to "retrain" the router for the current line conditions, which is what, in effect, you're doing by rebooting the router.

You'll need to see if you can improve your internal telephone wiring and stuff like that, to make your line less susceptible to this kind of night-time interference. I won't repeat the details of how to do that here - there's like a million threads already on this forum giving advice on how to improve your cabling - but have a look around the forum, you'll find the information on what you need to do.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks,

I'll keep checking that tonight to see what it is at near that time.

At the min it's 8.5 for down and 11.5 for up

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      ADSL lines are noisier at night than they are during the day, and this effect gets worse as you get closer to winter. It's all down to the changes in the D-layer of the ionosphere. And no, honestly, I'm not kidding.

The Sky router isn't very good at handling the increase in noise that you get at night-time and often the only way of getting a connection to start working again is to "retrain" the router for the current line conditions, which is what, in effect, you're doing by rebooting the router.

You'll need to see if you can improve your internal telephone wiring and stuff like that, to make your line less susceptible to this kind of night-time interference. I won't repeat the details of how to do that here - there's like a million threads already on this forum giving advice on how to improve your cabling - but have a look around the forum, you'll find the information on what you need to do.
      Strange thing is i was with Pipex for about 5 years before Sky and never had probs like this, router was similar (DG834 but the non wireless version).

Just strange how it started happening at around the same time each night.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It does seem strange, but there are reasons for the different behaviour…
      • With Pipex you were using ADSL1, with Sky BB Max, you're using ADSL2+, which operates on a much wider range of frequencies on your phone line. All manner of sources of interference which now affect your connection won't have caused a problem before.
      • The equipment at the exchange is different. With Pipex, you were probably connected to a DSLAM at the exchange made by Alcatel. Now you're connected to a Globespan DSLAM.
      • The software of the router which Sky force you to use is non-standard software. They're working on new software for the router which hopefully will be released "real soon now". I suspect, or at least I hope, this will resolve a large number of problems that people such as yourself have been experiencing.
      Just to be clear about this, the connection isn't dying at exactly the same time is it? Because if it's dying at exactly 8.30pm every night, for example, then the source of the interference might be man-made, rather than naturally occuring. Central heating systems have been known to cause interference with ADSL lines.

Exchange:
      Thanks

no the same time just between about 7-8pm each night - starting from about 2-3 weeks ago.

I hope they do upgrade the router firmware (as from using netgear routers in the past i know they do update them often).

I would get my user/pass from this one and try my other DG834, but it would be the prob that if from testing my other DG834 and fount it worked ok showing the sky router was faulty, i cant ring sky and say i used another router to test it.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Netgear have a reputation for not updating the router firmware anything like as punctually, reliably or frequently as some other manufacturers. And of course, that's compounded by the fact that the Sky router is using a customised version of the software and has yet to ever issue an update for it.

You could try your other router if you like (although it would break Sky's T&C's). It may very well work better. There wouldn't be any point in phoning Sky up to say, "Look, the router you sent is faulty. I tried a different router and it worked just fine," because all Sky would do is send you another router with exactly the same software in it. I should know, I've got 3 Sky routers and they all "fizz out" in the evenings.

Alternatively, you could use the Mognuts Utility Page (found here) to increase the target noise margin to be higher than 7db. That should work around your problem for now although your connection speed will be lower. And when Sky finally release the new software, your router will automatically download it, reboot, and you'll be back to the fastest speed your router can work out, but hopefully with better reliability.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just had the problem where the connection died, but only lasted a while and notices the noise margin dropping then going back up.

Picked the phone up and there was very loud noice on the phone - something that hasnt happened before as the line has always been crystal clear.

Next time it happens i'll pick up the phone and see if i can hear any noise on the line and make a note of the times etc and if it keeps happening will get intouch with BT.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spinal View Post
      Picked the phone up and there was very loud noice on the phone - something that hasnt happened before as the line has always been crystal clear.
      I have had exactly this same problem. When I did a quiet line test on the line with nothing else plugged in it was perfect so there was no point calling BT! I eventually discovered that the crackling on the line only occurred with the Sky router plugged in, and usually only when it was having difficulty connecting! Another reason to hope for new firmware as I concluded that the router was generating its own noise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast