Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can my old router be revived?

This is a discussion on Can my old router be revived? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there everyone. I have netgear router that went down, after an exchange server went down. I had flashed router, ...

colinwarren is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: DERBY
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can my old router be revived?

Hi there everyone.
      I have netgear router that went down, after an exchange server went down.
      I had flashed router, and then it would not automatically find connection, is there any way this can be repprogrammed manually ie all the magic numbers.
      Can anyone direct me as a spare would be handy, new router sent by sky, obviously didn't say i had upgraded sofware, didn't want to shoot myself in the foot, so to speak.
      Frightened to death to flash this router.
      So i just need to know basically where all the set up details can be found, the router does say the latest firmware, but only goes straight to set-up page, and as i have said it doesn't dynamically find isp or show sky test button at the bottom of the first page.

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Can my old router be revived?

if you flased your previous router, did you not save (backup) the original ?

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You need to get your Sky PPOA username and password from your working Sky router and enter them into the spare. Be aware that using a non Sky Router is against Sky's T & C's.

You can get the username and password by using this utility:

Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4

Click the "Get Username & Password" button, Enter the username Admin & Password Sky when prompted, then navigate back to the same page and click the "Download" button underneath. Save the file, then open it with Wordpad and hey presto you have the Username and password for your spare router.
      Last edited by eyemdee; 20-10-07 at 01:58 PM.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Eeep! It sounds like you lost all the router's settings when you re-flashed it. I'm afraid the only way out of that will be to re-flash it again, this time with the original Sky software.

There's a copy of the Recovery Utility on the CD that came with the router, in the Utilities folder on the CD. It has the Sky's version of the .img file.

Once you've got the original software back on the router, the connection details will probably be back on the router. If not, go to the Backup Settings page on the router and click on the "Revert to Factory Default Settings" button.