Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

relocating office, advice needed pls

This is a discussion on relocating office, advice needed pls within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, this is one of a few problems i have with my sky bb at the moment. I have had ...

mrwhite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hednesford, Staffordshire
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

relocating office, advice needed pls

Hi, this is one of a few problems i have with my sky bb at the moment. I have had real problems since getting sky bb with ie7 (logging in to any https sites), using any msn/yahoo etc, varying speeds from crap to worse than crap! and i have had to revert to using firefox (which i dont mind), oh and i dont seem to be able to update anything (windows etc, dont know if this is a activex problem though).
      As ive had to relocate my office in my house I have had to set my router up wireless not really a problem because i used a netgear previously (i do have a very good/excellent signal to wireless pc) . But i have rang sky about my problems and they have said i need to hard wire my pc to the router before they will continue helping me, thats fine but the my router will be no where near my main telephone socket, which they are saying needs to be connected too. so to start eliminating things i have decided to either fit an extension to my phoneline (which sky have said isn't good enough) or a ethernet cable from my router to pc which would have to be approximatly 30m in length (which sky say is available). Any other suggestions would be grateful because i just seem to be going round in circles.

Hoping you can help Thanks

2. Advertisement
      the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: relocating office, advice needed pls

It sounds a little like a firewall problem. Do you have a firewall installed on your machine?

If so, then disable it completely for a while and re-test some of your problems.

Of course, you may have a problem with IE7 too, but it sounds like a firewall problem.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: relocating office, advice needed pls

There's nothing about the way Sky Broadband works which will make an HTTP connection work, but block an HTTPS connection. I mean, it's theoretically possible, but Sky would have to be doing it very deliberately, and it would affect everyone. So that fact alone suggests that the issue is with your PC in some way.

In addition to checking the firewall - as the_sky_goat suggested above - perhaps you should try clearing all the IE7 state information. From the menubar in IE7 (press the Alt key if you can't see it), select Tools->Internet Options. Then click on the Advanced tab and click on the Reset button.

This will clear everything in IE7 including passwords, so don't do this if you've forgotten any passwords you need and have been relying on IE7 to remember them for you!