Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wifi wont connect at full speed DAM SKY!

This is a discussion on Wifi wont connect at full speed DAM SKY! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I got a sky router and my vaio laptop....my wifi in my laptop supports 802.11a/b/g/n yet for some reason ...

aibo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mickelover
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Wifi wont connect at full speed DAM SKY!

Hi

I got a sky router and my vaio laptop....my wifi in my laptop supports 802.11a/b/g/n yet for some reason my sky router wont connect above 56mbps...any ideas? Ive tried changing the wifi mode in admin and on my laptop but it refuses to go any higher! i thought id get at least 108mbps at this router or is sky really this pants?

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Wifi wont connect at full speed DAM SKY!

The 108Mbit/sec mode was never part of the 802.11g standard. It's a propretary extension that's basically implemented by having two 802.11g 56Mbit/sec connections running in parallel. Because it was never defined as a standard, you tend to find that only a 108Mbit/sec wireless adapter made by the same company as the router will actually work at that speed.

I've yet to see any wireless-n equipment that has support for this non-standard 108 operating mode, presumably because they have proper, standardised support for speeds above 56.

But of course in any case, you're not going to be able to download stuff from the Internet any faster than your broadband speed will allow - 8Mbit/sec with your Broadband Mid package. So why do you need a faster wireless connection? Is it to communicate with other PCs in the house?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is unfortunate that the fact that each manufacturer uses their own protocol to attain 108mbps, is not better publicised. If it was, maybe fewer users would jump right in and blame Sky. If you want to see the magic 108 figure, you will have to buy a matching Netgear adapter. However as James points out, unless you are using it to transfer over your internal network, it means absolutely nothing. Your download speed is governed by your internet connection, which at maximum will be 16mbps.

So in answer to your question, no, Sky are not really pants.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Someone sets up their Wireless-G network, only to discover that whilst their PC is reporting an excellent signal and a connection speed of 56Mbit/sec, they're only actually getting 4Mbit/sec. "That's not very good," they say.

Then they walk into PC World and see the nice new Wireless-N equipment. The stickers on the boxes are all screaming out, "Ten times the range! FIFTEEN times the speed! Buy me now, now, NOW!" and a little while later, they're back home merrily blasting the hell out of every single nook and cranny of the the 2.4GHz band with their Wireless-N signal.

Meanwhile, next door, their neighbour is composing a message on the SkyUser forum: "I used to get a speedtest.net result of 5000kbps on my wireless laptop, but now it never goes above 1000kbps. Why are Sky so awful?"