Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can you flash netgear router for higher sync rates?

This is a discussion on Can you flash netgear router for higher sync rates? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; when I reset my netgear I get a sync rate around 7db which at night falls closer to 6db and ...

DeeLondon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can you flash netgear router for higher sync rates?

when I reset my netgear I get a sync rate around 7db which at night falls closer to 6db and internet becomes unstable

I've used that utility to then pick the decibel figure I want but I'll be off travelling for maybe 4 months and no one in the house knowns enough about computers to do all that and sort out sync problems.

Is there a firmware update that is exactly the same as the sky firmware BUT simply says sync at a higher decibel figure for a more reliable connection at the expense of speed?

Below is my current figures with the decibel level set to 10db (I asked for 10 and came out closer to 11db)

I there was a firmware that aimed for around 9db then I'd be happy with the overall speed and reliability.

System Up Time 01:46:00
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 7828 9301 0 1529 8318 00:17:11
      LAN 10M/100M 47963 41646 0 6710 1300 01:45:58
      WLAN 11M/54M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10279 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 23.0 db 12.5 db
      Noise Margin 11.1 db 9.5 db

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Can you flash netgear router for higher sync rates?

BTW just in case it helps answer the question I reset my router and posting the figures fresh from the reset

As you can see it's resynced at 6.9db I'd like that figure to be closer to 8db or 9db for a reliable connection - having the fastest speed isn't that important to me - having a reliable connection is far more important.

Is there a firmware or a setting in the router I can make to give me a more reliable connection?

System Up Time 00:03:41
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 212 219 0 332 578 00:02:22
      LAN 10M/100M 418 378 0 650 345 00:03:40
      WLAN 11M/54M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12400 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.5 db 12.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 9.5 db

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Some people report success with this:

Unofficial firmware for DG384GT

Of course, the Netgear firmware update for the retail version of the router is newer than Sky's -- but there is reason to believe that Sky will update the present firmware at some point soon(ish).
      Last edited by fihart; 08-10-07 at 10:22 AM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the sync rate is determined by the line conditions at the time of sync - nothing else you can do about it bar have it in your master/test socket and make sure your wiring is up to scratch
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      the sync rate is determined by the line conditions at the time of sync - nothing else you can do about it bar have it in your master/test socket and make sure your wiring is up to scratch
      I had not problems at all for months - but recently the line drops a lot more in the evenings I am assuming as more and more people in my area switch to Sky Broadband it might have an effect?

Join Sky Broadband around Feb 2007 and was fine for many months now drops out every night, unless I make it sync higher and then last for ages with a good connection.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

When your internet becomes "unstable" have you called TS so that they can get things checked for you?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you report an unstable connection to Sky Technical Support, they will simply cap the maximum speed of the line. By forcing the router to sync at a slower speed than it otherwise would, the noise margin value ends up being higher. This is turn gives the router more "headroom" to cope with the daily changes in levels of noise on the line.

Incidentally, those daily changes in noise levels are often greater in the autumn and winter than they are in spring and summer.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Incidentally, those daily changes in noise levels are often greater in the autumn and winter than they are in spring and summer.

Why would it change according to the seasons, cos more people get online in winter instead of going out?

Is there an email address or phone number for Sky's Technical Support?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Anyway I managed to find a website which allows you to email Sky Tech Support.

Within a day they have adjusted the settings from their end and the connection seems more stable - I'm now syncing at 9db to 10db compared to barely 7db - connection speed has dropped to 11350 kbps but things actually appear to be loading faster and so far everything is just more stable.

So no need to flash my router - probably worth considering contacting sky first if you have the same problem.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeLondon View Post
      Why would it change according to the seasons, cos more people get online in winter instead of going out?
      Well, the number of people with broadband connections does have an impact on the amount of noise on a line because of "crosstalk", where your phone line picks up a small amount of the signal from lines which run immediately next to it. Not enough to be able to "intercept" their signal, but enough to cause an amount of interference.

But the bigger problem is medium-wave radio. The graph in my sig below shows how strong the broadband signal is compared to background noise on the line at various frequencies, from 138kHz (the lowest frequency used for the broadband download signal) to 2200 kHz (the highest frequency used). You'll see much of it is a gentle downward slope, but in the middle bit - the bit corresponding to medium-wave radio frequencies - the curve gets very jagged. This is where the phone line is picking up medium-wave radio stations.

If you've ever switched on a medium-wave radio and tuned through the frequencies, you'll notice that you can pick up many more stations at night than you can during the day - mostly lots of continental stations in French, Dutch and German. Medium-wave radio usually follows the curve of the Earth for a certain distance, about 250 miles, but it can also bounce off what's called the E-layer of the ionosphere, the part of the atmosphere where the gases are ionised by radiation from the sun. These bounced signals can travel for up to about 1000 miles.

During the day, however, the layer below the E-layer - the D-layer - is also ionised and that absorbs medium-wave radio signals. So your phone line only picks up these bounced signals during the night. During the summer, the Earth's axis is tilted toward the sun and so at night, the atmosphere above Europe is only just in the dark zone away from the sun, so the D-layer weakens less, allowing it to absorb - at least partially - some of these bounced medium-wave signals. During the winter, the axis is tilted away from the sun and the D-layer ends up being weakened more, which in turn means that all those signals from continental radio stations are quite a bit stronger.

And honestly, I'm not making this up!