Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unable to recover router after firmware update failure

This is a discussion on Unable to recover router after firmware update failure within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy and you wonder why it's against T&C's of service.....tut tut...... is that directed at me ? ...

mrlol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Unable to recover router after firmware update failure

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      and you wonder why it's against T&C's of service.....tut tut......
      is that directed at me ?

if so i suggest you re-read my post. Its a 2nd hand sky router, there are no T&Cs that apply. and even if they did, it has everything to do with them wanting to control what you do and dont have acess to in the control pane, and nothing to do with the fact that netgears software doesnt work properly.
      Last edited by mrlol; 22-10-07 at 04:29 PM.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

i meant it in general to everyone as flashing the router (regardless of it being 2nd hand - in which case you shouldn't even have it as they should be returned to Sky when a replacement is sent) is against T&C's of service and so shouldn't be used for another service or given to anyone who isn't the account holder...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      i meant it in general to everyone as flashing the router (regardless of it being 2nd hand - in which case you shouldn't even have it as they should be returned to Sky when a replacement is sent) is against T&C's of service and so shouldn't be used for another service or given to anyone who isn't the account holder...
      We're not back on this isuue again are we ?

You are right to warn Sky users of the dangers of reflashing.

But if the router has been sold by a previous user who has left Sky (after all, the contract states that the router becomes the property of the subscriber) what happens after that is no business of Sky's.

Attempts to to interfer with e-bay sales of routers via some spurious claim over the Linux code contained therein are being ignored by e-bay -- and would likely end up in court as per the case being brought against Autocad by a customer in the USA.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It's not the GPL'd code that is a cause for concern as much as the proprietary code on the router. I've got three routers - two were sent to me as part of the provisioning process and one sent as a replacement before I realised that Sky routers don't actually work properly. I've never been asked to send any of them back, but I wouldn't sell one unless I'd reflashed it first because otherwise I'd be breaking the terms of the software licence.

Thanks

im not trying to start up the argument again, but there are people here that bodge up a flash and then try and call Sky for a replacement which is just plain cheeky!!

and in each replacement sent there should be a returns address - if not then your lucky!! lol!!

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I got the sheet of paper with the return address label on it. There's a section on that sheet that says:
      To report a fault please call us on 08702 43 50 00. If the fault cannot be remedied over the phone we can arrange for a replacement product to be sent to you. This does not affect your statutory rights.
      Nothing about having to return the defective item. In fact, the form seems to suggest that it's only for returning equipment that you want a refund on (say if you decide to cancel during the 8-day period), or for WEEE directive disposal/recycling.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When I had my first defective router replaced I was told by the T3 bod that authorised it that it must be returned within 6 months, or a charge would be made. I returned it almost immediately and am still waiting for an acknowledgement. As I have said before, if you get a replacement for something you have purchased, it is not usually sent until the defective one is received by the supplier. Sky do not appear to be insisting on this at the moment, much to their cost. One day their auditors may catch up and a lot of people may be hit with bills for non-returned routers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It probably costs more in terms of return postage, testing, refurbishment or disposal, than it does to let the customer dispose of the defective router themselves. I can quite understand why Sky aren't making much of an effort to get these routers back.

Of course, auditors may take a different view, but unless Sky has been consistently telling people that they have to return their defective routers or they'll be charged, it will be very difficult to enforce a charge. Clearly they haven't been saying this to customers on a consistent basis.

Thanks

well, i always say there's a freepost address to return the defective router back to Sky (and all calls are recorded) so no one has an excuse when ive replaced one!! lol!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12