Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky Router Firmware Upgrade

This is a discussion on Sky Router Firmware Upgrade within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; ^ that sounds about right...would be easy to sift out those users that haven't upgraded they're router and suspend said ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Router Firmware Upgrade

^ that sounds about right...would be easy to sift out those users that haven't upgraded they're router and suspend said accounts
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      steesh2302 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: VM 10Meg
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: VM V+ HD
      Thanks

Cool Re: Sky Router Firmware Upgrade

That would have to be a first. Mulitiply the number of users throughout the UK who have not been delivered what they have been paying for, I think Sky should show a little compassion.

Sky know there has been an issue for some time, so would they rather users have a poor service, and expect users to put up with it? Surely not.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky know there has been an issue for some time
      Yep for a year at least. My gut feeling is that they are not going to suspend accounts, as tbh those with problems have only kept Sky BB because of using their own routers. No disrespect to Sky, but over 12 months to put something which is so fundamentally wrong by design is out of order. The least they could do is turn a blind eye.

Afterall, all those customers could have cancelled within the 8 days and gone elsewhere.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

blisteringblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

They will start down a slippery slope if they just ban people, they will give users resonable chance to plug their router back in.

They are a business at the end of the day and will want to keep client base not get rid of as many as they can.
      Post Sky DLM and after some cowboy contracters and BT ruined my line quality (was 6mb pre DLM):

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I'm sure there won't be any public admissions of a sub-standard service. But I bet several people at Netgear have experienced one hell of a roasting from Sky for their (i.e., Netgear's) failure to deliver a working broadband solution.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

The problem really though James, is that it is not standard on everyone's configuration. Sometimes the problem is there, sometimes not. Out of all the staff on SkyUser, I am the only one who couldn't use UPnP.

That is the only problem I have encountered apart from the MSN bug, which happens to appear on other ISP's as well using a Netgear router.

We did voice our concerns on here in one of our first ever posts about the router. The router itself is fundamentally flawed. When I first got a non Sky Netgear DG834GT I had problems galore, and at that time there were about 33 pages of complaints on Netgear's forums alone. Infact Plusnet adapted their network to overcome some issues.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I honestly don't believe that Sky are in the broadband business primarily to sell tenner-a-month ADSL connectivity to PC users. I reckon their eyes are on the prospect of delivering television over their own broadband network. That's where the real money-making opportunities lie.

I buy maybe one or two Box Office movies a month because basically, that's about as many films as I see which really take my fancy. Now if they were to offer me a full library of films, viewable on demand on my TV, with no faffing around with PCs or downloads, then that 20 a month I'm saving on my broadband service compared to my previous provider could well be finding its way into Sky's pocket.

Now imagine a ring around each Sky-enabled exchange which represents the area within which people can have a broadband service which is capable of delivering IPTV. Anything that makes that ring smaller is going to hit Sky's bottom line. I think there are some compatibility issues between the Globespan DSLAMs and the Netgear routers. Now it should be possible to overcome those issues with the right firmware on the router - and that is entirely down to Netgear. If that ring covers an area only, say, 80% of the anticipated size, it could hit Sky's potential profits by a lot more than 20%. I can imagine Sky being a lot more concerned about that than about a handful of users not being able to have UPnP switched on.

And I think we on this forum probably underestimate the scope of the connectivity problems. Manual capping of lines should not be a normal part of the ADSL provisioning process, but I see messages on this forum from recently connected people who clearly have lines which are capped. It would seem reasonable to assume that many people are being capped, and capped at a level which does provide them with a reliable service and so are not on this forum complaining. That may seem fine and dandy to people here, but it could well be placing them outside that magic ring when they should be inside it. I wouldn't be shocked if the majority of Sky Broadband users are suffering a deficiency in their service. That deficiency may not necessarily come out in the form of an unreliable service, it may be in the form of an entirely reliable service that is slower that it potentially could be. In other words, there could be many people who are entirely happy with their broadband service, but who are placed outside Sky's Magic Circle of Profits because of the problems that Sky are having with their Netgear routers. Such a customer may be happy, but I bet Sky wouldn't be.

DrJohn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0141
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Guys...What is the last FW version number you have.?......I am getting
      V1.02.28 on my screen.......I tried upgrading from Netgears site....but it seems to do nothing...I just want to know if I am up to date or not.?

Regs John

Thanks
      Blog Entries

That's the right one.

DrJohn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0141
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanx NwR....Just wanted to make sure....My speed is good and that is all that concerns me.......Back to work for me.!!

Regs John.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast