Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Keep rebooting my router...

This is a discussion on Keep rebooting my router... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; did not take long to find it 3. The Wireless Router (a) As part of the Sky Broadband service Sky ...

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Keep rebooting my router...

did not take long to find it

3. The Wireless Router

(a) As part of the Sky Broadband service Sky will supply one Wireless Router to you under this Contract.

(b) You can choose to either install your Wireless Router yourself (“Self Install”) or have SHS install it for you on Sky’s behalf (“Home Installation”). If you choose Self Install, SHS will send your Wireless Router on Sky’s behalf to your Address and you must comply fully with all reasonable installation instructions and advice that SHS or we provide to you. If you choose Home Installation you should read the terms and conditions for Home Installation (set out at the end of this Contract). You may have to pay for Home Installation. We will tell you the amount of this fee before charging you.

(c) Your Wireless Router (except the software in it) will become your property on installation if you choose Home Installation, or on delivery if you choose Self Install. The software in your Wireless Router is owned by or licensed to Sky or another member of the British Sky Broadcasting group. You must allow this software to be updated. Updates will happen automatically at no extra charge.

(d)Sky Broadband must only be accessed via your Wireless Router. Your Wireless Router is not supplied as being capable of being used to access any other Internet service.

(e) Your Wireless Router is supplied with a warranty (“Warranty”) against faults arising in the first 12 months after supply.

(f) The Warranty also covers cabling and, if you choose Home Installation, installation faults. The following are not covered by the Warranty: faults arising from misuse, accidental or deliberate damage to your Wireless Router; damage arising from use of equipment that is not supplied by or on behalf of Sky for use with your Wireless Router; cosmetic damage which does not affect the functionality of your Wireless Router; computer equipment, software and cables that we or SHS did not supply to you and damage caused by events outside the reasonable control of Sky or any other member of the British Sky Broadcasting group, or its equipment suppliers.

(g) To report a fault, please call us on 08705 515 515. If a reported fault cannot be remedied by one of our engineers over the phone, then we will either repair or replace your equipment, whichever is reasonably considered to be the most proportionate. Any equipment that is replaced must be returned to us in the manner we request.

(h) Any replacement equipment supplied under the Warranty will be new or ‘as new’ (previously used equipment that has been refurbished by the manufacturer or its authorised agent). We will warrant any repair or replacement until the later of the end of the original 12 month warranty period or 3 months from the date it was carried out or supplied.

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carolineiam View Post
      The firmware is still your property
      no its not, and i noticed your last post changed ?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The firmware is still your property
      I don't know where you get that idea the T &Cs are quite clear-
      (c) Your Wireless Router (except the software in it) will become your property on installation if you choose Home Installation, or on delivery if you choose Self Install. The software in your Wireless Router is owned by or licensed to Sky or another member of the British Sky Broadcasting group. You must allow this software to be updated. Updates will happen automatically at no extra charge.
      The software is the firmware, by another name.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

ukdy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Solihull
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok lets keep this thread 'on topic'. there are other places for these discussions...

enough of the hijacking

carolineiam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't know where you get that idea the T &Cs are quite clear-

The software is the firmware, by another name.
      Okay Okay. I was wrong on this !

Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Interesting......

Before I subscribed to Sky BB I contacted SKY to enquire about whether I could use another router other than the one SKY provide. I have pasted the mail into this post bellow, followed by the reply from SKY. As you can see, They don't provide support for another router, but they don't say you can't use another router.

Hello,
      I have moved home recently & I require a new ISP. I am seriously considering SKY Broadband but I'm a little concerned that I might not be able to use my own netgear wireless router. I have read in the skybb terms & conditions that i must use the sky router but I can see no real reason why I can't use my own. My own router has a print server built in, whereas the sky DG834GT does not so I would have to get a seperate print server costing me more money. Can I use my own equipment with the sky broadband service?? Thanks

Thank you for your interest in Sky Broadband.

We will provide you with a Sky Broadband Box to enable you to connect to the internet.
      We do not provide support for other router models.

In order to provide the best possible service to our customers and deliver innovative products in the future, we are giving all our customers a free Sky Broadband Box.

We recommend that this box is used with the Sky service, so that we are able to diagnose any specific issues with the box itself; if, for example, our customers have any problems with their service.

You will also be able to connect to the internet via an Ethernet port.

I note your interest in our Sky Broadband service however to be eligible to receive this service, you must have an active subscription account.

Hope this helps!!

P.S. Anybody got any idea how my line attenuation can drop from 33db to 15.5 over night? (I thought that was fixed) SNR has gone from 11db at best to 9.1db at best. Over all service seems better as pages load faster but my download speed has dropped to under 5Mb (was getting up to 6Mb) my router syncs at full speed for 8Mb BB Like James, I have this CRC's go crazy problem?

P.P.S. THe bit about the router having a print server. The router is actually a cable one but It seemed like a good excuse to ask!!
      Last edited by Miracle_Boy66; 28-10-07 at 12:56 AM.

Thanks

The 15.5 attenuation is a bug in the router firmware, it may be fixed when the long awaited firmware update is released. In the meantime, rebooting your router will correct it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

O.K. Thanks IsItMe!! I gave that a go but the line attenuation remains the same at 15.5db. I rebooted from the diags console. Would a hard reboot make any difference?
      Last edited by Miracle_Boy66; 28-10-07 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks

Yes, switch the power off, leave it for a minute, then switch on again.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345