Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Keep rebooting my router...

This is a discussion on Keep rebooting my router... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I had a similar problem and it was definitely related to noise although I found the sky help process as ...

the heron is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01425483137
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Red face Re: Keep rebooting my router...

I had a similar problem and it was definitely related to noise although I found the sky help process as good as useless.
      It seems to me that the main problem is distance from the exchange which in my case is 6Km in a straight line so in real terms is somewhat more.
      My solution to the problem was to purchase an ADSL Nation XTF face plate which replaces the BT mastersocket. You connect the sky router to the new faceplate and do not need any other micro filters.
      My system has worked well from the moment I installed this device.
      See the following link for info ADSL Nation - XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket
      Hope this helps you as it did me.
      BobM

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Keep rebooting my router...

Quote Originally Posted by domyates View Post
      Hi,

I've noticed a slowdown in my internet speeds at various times of the day. If i perform a reboot of my router my speed picks back up again...

Why do I keep having to do this... Should I flash the firmware or is there a more simple explanation. It has been fine for 2/3 months and now I'm getting this problem.

Thanks Guys.
      Saturday has done an excellent guide here, Sky router stats (speed, noise, attenuation) explained
      see if this helps?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      You have to monitor the quarter-hour periods manually, or have a script of some kind running on a PC or on the router.

Give me a couple of hours and I'll write a script that sits on the router and monitors the error rate on a regular basis.
      Sky Router Error Monitor

Fill in the correct router IP address (if it's different from the default one), then click on the Download button. Enter the router's username (always admin) and password (default 'sky' unless you've changed it). Then click on your browser's Back button. Finally click on the Start button, wait a few seconds, then press the Esc key on your computer's keyboard. The monitor will sit on your router, recording the error rate during successive 5 minute periods.

When you want to look at the results, go back to the monitor page, and use the Copy and Download buttons to download a copy of the monitor log file. You mustn't start the monitor again - I'm afraid it's all a bit rough and ready and there's no protection against having two monitor scripts running simultaneously, which will mess up the script quite badly. The monitor will (or at least, should) continue to run until you reboot the router.

Other points to note:
      • Times are in GMT, so they're one hour behind BST
      • The code runs on the router, not the PC, so if you reboot your PC, you do not need to reinstall the monitor - in fact, you must not
      • The monitor log file can be viewed in wordpad OR notepad
      • The SF and CRC values shown in each monitor log entry are for the preceding 5 minutes only
      • If you want to stop monitoring the error rate, you will need to reboot the router

What this utility is useful for is where your detailed stats give quite a high total CRC count, but the CRC counts for the last 4 quarter-hour periods are very low, indicating that at some time between the router being switched on and the last hour, there was a burst of high CRC error levels. Because the monitor script takes snapshots every 5 minutes, it should be possible to see when these error bursts are occurring.

ukdy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Solihull
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks so much guys... i'm running this script now... at the moment my bb seems fine.. i'm getting 10mb. how long should i leave it before i look at the script, or should i only run it when my bb has slowed right down.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

No, just keep it running. You can take a look at the output (click on the Copy button, then the Download button) any time you like and it should give you all the data it's collected up to that point.

ukdy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Solihull
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok here goes...the file since sunday is found at this link

http://www.box.net/shared/bamg3vngmr

let me know what you think.

ta.

dom

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yeah, there's a clear and regular phase in the evening where your error rate is picking up and reaching levels that are definitely going to slow your connection down quite noticeably. But by about half-past-midnight, it all seems to get itself back together again - it never seems to get to a point of no return, which is some consolation, I guess.

In my opinion, this is symptomatic of the connectivity issues that seem to exist between the Netgear router and the Globespan DSLAMs that Sky have at the exchange, because ADSL (or ADSL2+) really shouldn't react in this way to changes in the physical characteristics in the phone line.

I'm not sure if I would recommend reflashing the router in this situation. It might help improve things, but that has to be weighed against the possibility that you might "brick" the router and in any case you'd be breaking the T's & C's. The more you do to improve the quality of your internal telephone wiring, the less the firmware bug will affect you. Hopefully, when the updated firmware is released by Sky, you'll be getting a good, fast connection all the time.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Similar to your own James, severe bursts of errors over a 2 hour period on the 29th and 30th. otherwise not too bad. An outside source sending out a disruptive signal. Unless it is something within the house, like CH, there is nothing much you can do about it. Think over that time, was anything done in your house which could cause it? I read of a case once where a guy's broadband dropped from 6.30 to 7.30 every night. It took him a while to realize that his wife went jogging on a treadmill in the next room for an hour every night. I don't know if he divorced her or gave up his broadband at that time

I have read a bit about RF filters being fitted to phone lines to help keep the signal clear. Would something like that help? The trouble is I have also read that these filters can cause broadband problems in some instances.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Details are a bit sketchy, but I believe there's a way of telling the ADSL chip not to use certain frequencies:
      Code:
             adslctl connection [--up] [--down] [--loopback] [--reverb]
                 [--medley] [--noretrain] [--L3] [--diagmode] [--L0]
                 [--tones <xmtStart xmtNum xmtMap rcvStart rcvNum rcvMap>]
      Those xmtMap and rcvMap values are supposed to be bit mapped values represent which frequency bins to use. But I can't seem to get them working. Which is a pity because then I'd be able to disable the parts of the frequency spectrum which are getting noisy at night and have a completely reliable connection without having to have a script forcing my router to resync twice a day.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Did you restart the adsl after setting the bitmap. Just a thought?
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast