Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router and Hibernation Mode

This is a discussion on Router and Hibernation Mode within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All, Has anybody had this problem with Windows XP, Hibernation and the Sky Router. I often use the hibernation ...

Dumfy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: llanishen
      Broadband ISP: max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router and Hibernation Mode

Hi All,

Has anybody had this problem with Windows XP, Hibernation and the Sky Router.

I often use the hibernation mode on my PC and whenever I kick it back to life, I can never connect to the Web or Email (Outlook Express). It appears that going into and out of hibernation affects the router in some way.

To clear the problem, I need to re-boot and then all's well. Sort of makes the hibernation mode redundant in a way!

Any ideas how I can overcome this? I haven't tried Standby instead of Hibernation but would guess the same would happen

Cheers All

Dumfy

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Router and Hibernation Mode

You could try this, go to the Device Manager expand the Network Adapters Section, right click your adapter and select Properties. On the Power Management tab, untick 'Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power'.

If you are using a USB wireless adapter, also make sure that, the root hub it uses has the same box unticked in the power management tab. In fact if you are not using a laptop, do this with all the root hubs, as it is a setting that can cause lots of problems with USB devices. A mains powered desktop does not need to save this minuscule amount of power.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Dumfy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: llanishen
      Broadband ISP: max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Router and Hibernation Mode

Hi All,

Well, I think I've fixed it and will post it here in case it can be of use to anyone in the future.

The problem appears to stem from my firewall - Zone Alarm and there's two things to try...

Reduce the security setting of ZoneAlarm's Internet Zone from HIGH to MEDIUM.

If you put the setting back to High then tick the box to tell ZoneAlarm to "...allow outgoing DNS/DHCP in Internet zone on High setting."

Have hibernated (!) several times since and each time I can connect to the web and email.

Anyway, hope this helps

Best Regards

Dumfy