Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Will this work..

This is a discussion on Will this work.. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, seeing as its not possible for me to use eathernet when using my master socket would NETGEAR WG311GE ...

simps100 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Will this work..

Hi all, seeing as its not possible for me to use eathernet when using my master socket would NETGEAR WG311GE at PC World - Buy cheap Wireless Network Cards - NETGEAR WG311GE WIRELESS 54MBPS DESKTOP ADAPTER be any good with the sky router?

Thanks

Marc

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Will this work..

As it is a Netgear product should work OK. However, have a look at the comments HERE if you do decide to buy. Also don't be carried away by the apparent price reduction, it is available at many online shops at under 20, mainly because it is now obsolete. It will perform better than a USB adapter, if it is set up properly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As Isitme says, USB adapters are not as good and people somehow manage to screw up installing even them.

I suspect some of the WG311 problems people report are to do with IRQs and this can happen with any PCI device. A solution is to free up some motherboard resources by going into BIOS and disabling COM ports.

I have V.1 of the WG311 (which I got for 4 at a car boot, minus antenna) and it works fine. Only problem was with updating driver over the one from the CD without first physically uninstalling the card and removing details from Device Manager -- so to save time go to Netgear site and download the latest driver before you install.

simps100 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What would actually be the best for me, it will be used for the main pc in the house so the faster the better, problem is its to far away from the pc for an eathernet cable to reach otherwise i think that would be my best option.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Ethernet is always preferred to wireless, it is faster and more stable. Remember, ethernet has a range of 100m, it is not restricted to the length of cable supplied by Sky. If you have a route for the cable, use that rather than wireless.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.