Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can Sky set minimum SNR or cap the speed ?

This is a discussion on Can Sky set minimum SNR or cap the speed ? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've just joined this forum but have virtually lived on this site since I was activated on Sky Max last ...

Tony_J is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can Sky set minimum SNR or cap the speed ?

I've just joined this forum but have virtually lived on this site since I was activated on Sky Max last Wednesday. Thanks for all the useful info.

I too am getting problems with deteriorating SNR figures (<6dB) causing my connection to go intermittent or fail totally. It plays hell with Internet Radio which goes into stop mode every minute or so. In fact it's doing it now as this time of day seems to be particularly bad as others have discovered.

I tried OhNoes suggestion of using the telnet "adslctl" command to force a higher SNR value. This worked fine dropping my DL speed from 13.5 to 11.5 Mb. However even that has not been enough as the SNR has dropped from 10.5 to 7 dB during the evening. The "adslctl" setting appears to be lost when the router reboots. Does OhNoes know how to fix this setting permanently or can the command only work relative to the present session's SNR value ?

Otherwise does anyone know if Sky are able to set a minimum SNR figure (e.g. 10dB) on my line ? I don't mind a lower capped speed if it means a steady connection. It's beginning to look as if 10Mb is going to be necessary for me.

I do want to stay with Sky as when it works it is great. But this problem is very annoying. It seems the router is a bit over ambitious at setting the speed when it logs on.

Thanks for any help.

2. Advertisement
      hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I just found this very interesting read:TiscaliFAQ

It is about there migration process problems they and their customers encountered and what they did to correct the issues. It does identify some familiar problems. Definately worth a read!

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply hugsie. An interesting read and I am impressed by the openness and honest answers by that ISP.

It seems my problem with Internet Radio stations that stop streaming to me is not due to the SNR dipping. I have set the SNR to be at least 10.5dB all evening which is more than enough for a stable connection. However the stations still cut out at random and sometimes websites do not connect on the first attempt.

I can only think that the router is not correctly forwarding the traffic to my PC. I don't know much about routers but having played with a few of them, so far they have been unreliable. My ADSL USB modem never gave a problem.

A friend of mine (different ISP) has experienced similar problems since ditching his USB modem in favour of a router. It would be interesting to go back to the USB modem temporarily to find out if Sky's network is OK. That would prove the router is to blame. I may try it as an experiment.

Anyone else having problems with radio streams stopping at random or any ideas how to solve this one please ?

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      all routers and lines are different. my old router works a treat with sky broadband - i connect in the morning, i have a fast and stable connection all day long (much better than my old isp on adsl max) - i use the sky router and my connection drops and/or freezes every 10 minutes and i have to reboot it. they are sending another one - but presonally i don't hold out much hope

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have been on to Sky today about this problem. I may get a replacement router too but have to give it a couple more days of use first.

I don't think a replacement router is going to behave any differently either but I may get lucky. This site mentioned at the start that there are issues with this model of router that are being discussed on the Netgear forums. So it may be time to head over there for any tips.

I still think the ISP connection is basically sound, it's just this router ignoring Internet access requests from the PCs connected to it after a while. A reboot usually cures the problem.

Dingdong : Does your old router connect at a lower speed (e.g ADSL1 only) compared to the Sky one ? Just wondered if the Sky router is overambitious when setting the sync speed.

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      RE: Does your old router connect at a lower speed (e.g ADSL1 only) compared to the Sky one ? Just wondered if the Sky router is overambitious when setting the sync speed.

Yes the linksys syncs at about 3.7 to 3.8 MB when i start it up, it stays there all day without any problem whatsoever.

The netgear usually syncs at about 4.2 MB and keeps dropping/freezing - problem is even when it reaches 3.8MB is doesn't go stable it keeps dropping the connection. I'd end up with a dial-up modem before is went stable i think

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You have my sympathies. I thought I had problems but that is nothing compared to yours. At least I get a good few hours of trouble free use until the evening. I don't blame you for using your old router as you have little choice.

I still think my old USB modem would work perfectly 24 hours a day on Sky even if it can only do around 7 MB.