Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

help needed setting up ICS with sky bb

This is a discussion on help needed setting up ICS with sky bb within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Im tearing my hair out with this so here goes. I have a media pc connected to the internet ...

T1000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

help needed setting up ICS with sky bb

Hi

Im tearing my hair out with this so here goes. I have a media pc connected to the internet with a usb adaptor. I want to connect my xbox 360 to the computer and use ICS to get live. Now I am using a x over cable I have used network set up wizard. I have even tried manually but I keep getting the same error 'internet connection sharing cannot be enabled.
      a LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP address.'
      I have a DG834gt router and I have changed the ip address of this to 192.168.0.50. I still get the same error.Can anyone help me out. Do I need to change some more router settings?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: help needed setting up ICS with sky bb

Instructions on setting up ICS with an Xbox can be found here -
      ICS Sharing

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Howdy

As soon as I click the bo for internet sharing on my wireless connection i get the error message above but nothing connected has the 192.168.0.1 ip address required by ICS?

Thanks

I am not quite sure why you changed the routers address to 19.168.0.50? One thing I notice is that if you have a 360, you should not be using a cross-over cable, which you say you are. Use the yellow cable supplied with the router.

Is there any particular reason why you want to use ICS, rather than simply network the Xbox directly to the router as most do?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I'm assuming that he's plugging the xbox directly into the Ethernet port of his PC, so a cross-over cable is the right one to use, even if a straight-through cable might work. Presumably the xbox and his media PC are close to each other (i.e., both close to the TV) and he doesn't want to run a cable (or two) from the TV to the router.

I've actually got a small Ethernet switch sitting behind my TV. At the moment it's got the xbox and the media player plugged into it, as well as a single cable running from it to the router. When Sky decide to start using that Ethernet port on the back of the Sky HD box, that can plug into that too without having to put another long cables in.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

Bang on my xbox is next to my pc and cant dont wanna route wires everywhere. I changed the ip of the router as windows ICS automatically requires the internet connection to be ip 192.168.0.1 as the router would be the same I changed it to prevent ip conflicts but Im still getting errors anyway. I have read that to change the router ip you need to do it wired I have only done it via wireless? dont know if this is the way to go or not?

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well, I reckon changing the IP address of the router would certainly seem to be the only thing you need to do, but I don't see why it would have to be done over wired Ethernet and not wireless. It'd be a good idea to reboot the media PC after you've done that, and try accessing the router at http://192.168.0.50/ to make sure the change has "taken" properly.

Also check the DHCP settings on the router - there's a small chance that it might now be giving 192.168.0.1 to the wireless port on your media PC. That would also prevent ICS working. If that is the case, reset the range of addresses that the router gives out on DHCP so that it doesn't include 192.168.0.1, then reset both the PC and the router.

Thanks

so a cross-over cable is the right one to use
      I am only quoting from the instructions given, the Xbox requires a cross over, the 360 a straight.

Here is a very long thread on this exact subject, maybe it will be of some help. It refers, I think to the basic Xbox, not the 360, but the basics should be the same.-
      Xbox through a pc with a wireless internet connection???????

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you think about it, the 360 isn't likely to require a straight-through cable. If that were the case, you'd have to have a cross-over to connect to any router that didn't support auto MDI/MDI-X.

The original Xbox requires a cross-over cable if you're connecting it to another Xbox or to a PC because its Ethernet port doesn't do auto MDI/MDI-X, but the 360 will work with either because it does have that facility.