Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help Needed Download speeds too slow

This is a discussion on Help Needed Download speeds too slow within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; iu just noticed something which i don't think is right, i took the faceplate off the master socket and there ...

Kurby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Help Needed Download speeds too slow

iu just noticed something which i don't think is right, i took the faceplate off the master socket and there was only a few wires there, i took the faceplate off the extention and theres a ring capicator, connectors and spark gap surge arrester but i thought these were only suppose to be on a master socket does that mean the sockets are mixed up and the master socket has an extension socket faceplate etc and the extension socket has the master socket connections etc ? i'm confused

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It does look like there is a mix up somewhere. As you point out the slave socket should not have all the bits-n-pieces a master does. Assuming you only have one extension, there should only be one cable going into it. The master will have 2, one in and one out. If what you say is true then it looks like you have illegal wiring done by an amateur. Apart from anything else, if the 'master' socket does not have an arrestor, then anything connected to it is in danger of being fried.

If your master socket does not have a capacitor etc, I would advise you to call in BT. It may cost you a few pounds, but it may prove cheaper in the end. If the wiring was in this condition when you moved in, BT may correct it gratis.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kurby View Post
      i took the faceplate off the master socket and there was only a few wires there, i took the faceplate off the extention and theres a ring capicator, connectors and spark gap surge arrester
      Don't mean to be rude but are you sure that the socket you think is the master is the master? Follow the wire in from outside. It could be that what you think of as the extension is actually the first socket.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Don't mean to be rude but are you sure that the socket you think is the master is the master? Follow the wire in from outside. It could be that what you think of as the extension is actually the first socket.
      you ain't being rude i just notice that the one i thought was the extension is the master socket but thats the one i am getting the errors from i think its the master anyway it has a little oval shaped box next to it hm so i need to call out bt?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The oval junction boxes are usually removed when a 'new type' master socket is fitted. If yours is still there there may be other redundant boxes on your line. Can you trace from the box all the way back to where the line actually enters your property? If there are any other boxes, have a look inside and see what is there. You might find corroded wires and spiders nests! Also have a look inside the oval box and check that the connections are clean and tight.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

in the master socket there was some dust at the bottom but all the wires look fine, but in the oval junction box the write were fine but what they were plugged into was rusty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12