Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router WPA encription keeps dropping

This is a discussion on Router WPA encription keeps dropping within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been trying to setup the SKY Router to work on WPA encryption with the 8 character reference under ...

swal87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01977
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router WPA encription keeps dropping

I have been trying to setup the SKY Router to work on WPA encryption with the 8 character reference under the box.

When I scan the available networks via windows I can see the network ok and setup my profile on the wireless card.

The system then connects for a second before dropping again. I.e. when it is obtaining an IP address it drops, then connects again automatically and then drops again. This is a continual cycle on two different laptops with different wireless receivers.

In order to trouble shoot the problem I tried the below.

1. Setup another Laptop, = Same result, connects then drops > connects then drops.

2. Tested the wireless without encryption = All worked fine on both laptops no drop outs.

3. Turned WPA back on and again it same as test 1.

After calling sky as I believe the router is not working correctly with the encryption method, I was told that I need to speak to the manufacturer of the wireless receiver as it wasn't supported by SKY.

I was also told they wouldn't send another router as I believe this is faulty. So no luck there then.

Does anyone have any ideas!!!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Router WPA encription keeps dropping

You could try changing the key in the router to one of your own. The default can be returned by using the reset button on the router.

Also check that all your devices are set to the same channel and you could try different channels.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Try turning off UPnP -- see tutorial on this site.

swal87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01977
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alavana View Post
      Are you using in your house or maybe a very close neighbour is using a video/audio sender (used to transmit tv signals from say, the main tv downstairs to a tv upstairs?) These devices have been known to cause signal dropout, especially where an encryption key has been used.
      I dont use a video/audio sender, but not sure about the neighbours. Might investigate that further.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You could try changing the key in the router to one of your own. The default can be returned by using the reset button on the router.

Also check that all your devices are set to the same channel and you could try different channels.
      Tried that, no such luck im affraid.

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Try turning off UPnP -- see tutorial on this site.

I will also try this and let you know how i get on.

Cheers for the suggestions, i think the last maybe the best bet, or maybe to try a 3rd party router. It makes me mad that Sky didn't even suggest anything.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It makes me mad that Sky didn't even suggest anything.
      Most ISPs are the same, when you think about it, how could they support all the different makes and models of adapters. They would need an enormous data base, with personnel trained to use it, which would be financially untenable. They have enough problems supporting one router and one wireless adapter. They probably gave you the best advice they could in telling you to contact the adapters manufacturer, most have good troubleshooting sections.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

LinkBacks (?)