Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where's my router?

This is a discussion on Where's my router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Does anyone have any idea how long the delivery times are on routers at the moment? A call to Sky ...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Unhappy Where's my router?

Does anyone have any idea how long the delivery times are on routers at the moment? A call to Sky didn't help much - they couldn't say one way or the other whether it's been sent out. (At least they were honest about that and didn't just lie to get me off the phone, I suppose).

Mine still hasn't turned up yet and I'm due to be switched over on Wednesday, and I won't be too happy if I end up without broadband internet access simply because my line's been switched over but my router hasn't been delivered.

The whole thing about not giving out connection usernames and passwords is such an annoyance. I can appreciate that it simplifies customer support if everyone's using the same router, but it would be nice if they could give out the connection details on request, on the understanding that if you don't use their router, they won't be able to provide technical support if there's a problem. I've got a perfectly good ADSL2+ capable router and the technical skills to know how to set it up properly. It would save me considerable anxiety and, if the router doesn't arrive on time, make the difference between me being an extremely annoyed customer and me being an extremely happy customer.

2. Advertisement
      kpax88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Where's my router?

You must use the sky router as part of your contract agreement... as for router delivery times, it generally takes upto 5 days and comes within a courier, if u haven't recieved it yet maybe there is a mistake with the address? I would phone up technicial support and ask them to talk to router replacement team for a new router.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I appreciate that using their router is a requirement of their T's & C's, as I also appreciate that they enforce that requirement by having your connection username and password hard-coded into the router rather than telling you what they are.

I can see the benefit of this to them, in terms of simplifying customer support if everyone is using the same router. It does make a lot of sense. But it'd be nice if there was an option to use your own router on the understanding that they wouldn't be able to provide support. It wouldn't make their life any harder ("I'm sorry, but because you've opted to use your own router, we are unable to provide technical support"), and they'd make quite a few customers happy - people in my situation for example, and people who have a preference for a specific router, say one that supports Wireless-N or WPA2.

As it is, my first experience of Sky Broadband is going to be the loss of high-speed internet connectivity which I've had continuously for more than 5 years. Not really starting off on the right foot.

I was able to speak to someone at Sky later in the day, who confirmed that the router has not been sent out. They suggested that Friday would be the most likely delivery date. Seemed genuinely apologetic.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I was able to speak to someone at Sky later in the day, who confirmed that the router has not been sent out. They suggested that Friday would be the most likely delivery date. Seemed genuinely apologetic.
      There appear to be a few Skyusers waiting for routers which have not been sent, Goodness knows how many others there are who have not yet found the forum. It is ridiculous really, every part of the UK and Ireland is covered by a 24 hour delivery service. You would think that in cases like this, they would pay the few pounds extra to get them out asap.

Just hope that when they arrive, they have remembered to scan the usernames and passwords into their system. They forgot a batch a few months ago and guess what? Everybody had to wait for another week till new routers were sent. No wonder so many are fed up with Sky before they even start.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Just hope that when they arrive, they have remembered to scan the usernames and passwords into their system. They forgot a batch a few months ago and guess what? Everybody had to wait for another week till new routers were sent. No wonder so many are fed up with Sky before they even start.
      Oh no - please don't tell me things like that!

My current plan is to sneak up to the exchange and put some superglue in the locks. That should be enough to put back my activation date by a few days, by which time the router should have arrived.

touran22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

mine activation date is also wenesday and no router. maybe mine will be sent friday to?

plasticam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have been reading up on this site since registering for sky max last week.

My activation is the 13th Sept.

I called the provisioning team on Monday and was informed that the router is not sent until sky have confirmation that the line had gone live without issues or any rejections.

Therefore she suggested that the router would be dispatched on the 14th with a 3-5 day delivery time.

She did say though that this does not happen every time, in some cases the router is dipatched early but she did not know the reasoning behind this.

Hope this helps.

christ69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Withdean
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: HD
      Thanks

Hello,

Not that this helps much but my activation day was 2nd sept and i got my router a full five days before activation.

That said i was worried about all the problems we read about on here. I was on BT with about 3mb. After changing my wiring and getting an adsl nation faceplate i was syncing at 8mb with SKY and getting 8mb download. I experienced a little problem at night so i set my sgn ratio at 8. I get no problems at all now and i download at about 7.5 meg.

Well chuffed. Just hope i never have to phone sky!!!!

Christ69

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I called the provisioning team on Monday and was informed that the router is not sent until sky have confirmation that the line had gone live without issues or any rejections.
      This has always been the case when joining Connect, it could be that they are now doing this for all packages, which seems to be a bit of a nonsense. They seem to want to antagonize customers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Their website specifically advertises that migrations with a MAC code should normally result in only half an hour's to 2 hours' downtime. If they've actually got a policy of not sending out the router until the line's been switched, then that's a bit of false advertising.

I suspect that the person plasticam spoke to is an example of the "tell them whatever it takes to get them off the phone" tactic that I've encountered on occasion with Sky CS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast