Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Where's my router?

This is a discussion on Where's my router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by plasticam Well the connection has gone off and reading my existing router it says: Downstream:15323 Up: 764 ...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Where's my router?

Quote Originally Posted by plasticam View Post
      Well the connection has gone off and reading my existing router it says:

Downstream:15323
      Up: 764

Will i be getting a good speed when the router eventually turns up?
      Well I reckon you should do. I say "should" because if the quality of your line is marginal, you may find that your current router is better at handling it than Sky's router. If that's the case, Sky's router might synchronise at a slightly slower speed. But chances are you will get the same figures when the new router finally does turn up.

From what I can tell, those figures are the usual maximum speeds you get from Broadband Max (a handful of "freak" users get more for some unknown reason). They are, in fact, the same figures I'm getting. My attenuation and SNR figures suggest that it could easily go a bit faster, so I assume those speeds are actually configured as the maximum.

Sky CS are now telling me that my router was dispatched yesterday (ah huh) but it'll take 3 to 5 working days for it to be delivered. So as this week has gone on, successive calls to Sky have told me, Friday, then Friday possibly Saturday, now the middle of next week.

In the meantime, Orange are making a small fortune out of me, my 3G internet connection is not cheap.

2. Advertisement
      TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The issues Sky experienced are that from the 28th of August onwards, routers haven't been dispatched until the activation date. They are sent by next day delivery (Parcelforce 24) but there is a 2-4 day wait for our supplier to send them out. Nothing to do with a backlog at Parcelforce.

edit: If they can see its been dispatched, unless there is a problem with the parcelforce website, they can find the consignment number, and it will be the next working day. Edit: thats a lie, if its been marked as sent, it can take up to 12 hours for the consignment number to show from 8am the morning of dispatch
      Last edited by TSx; 14-09-07 at 02:14 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Ahhhh, Unipart Technical Logistics. Now I can believe that they're at the root of this problem. I have yet to have a single positive experience with that company. Sky really need to stop using them. I've been a Sky customer since the early days of analogue, and apart from the first Sky box I had - the magical de-tuning Amstrad receiver, anyone remember those? - the only problems I have ever had with Sky is when Unipart have been involved.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      ........ In the meantime, Orange are making a small fortune out of me, my 3G internet connection is not cheap.
      Go down the local library. It's what you pay your local taxes for

cposkitt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Melrosegate
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky gave us an automatic phone call on Friday to say the router had been dispatched. Is it likely that the router will arrive before Thursday, as nobody will be in the house for a week from that day?

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I don't think you can take too much notice of those messages, but if the router does turn up on the day everyone in house leaves for a week, that will be a problem. Parcelforce will attempt to deliver the following day, and then keep it at the local depot for 5 days before returning it to Sky. If that happens you'll have to get Sky to send up out another box, and that maybe a difficult thing to convince them to do if they think they've already dispatched one.

If you have a friendly neighbour who is likely to be in and you don't mind leaving a note telling the delivery man to take it to their address, Parcelforce will quite happily do that. It depends how you feel about leaving a note on your door for a week - not something I'd do, tbh.

Alternatively, if you staying away somewhere in the UK, you could try phoning up Provisioning and asking them for the consignment number. You could then get in touch with Parcelforce and ask them to deliver the package to a nearby Post Office. I know they do that, but they might need the card that was put through the letterbox - you'd be wise to ask Parcelforce about that before you ask for it to be redelivered to a Post Office. There is a charge for that service, and obviously you'd need some form of ID with your address on it, like a driver's licence.

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There shouldn't be a charge as Sky pay for the "Convenient Delivery Process" - they also keep it at the depot for 3 weeks. If it shows as returned to Sky, getting a replacement is easy

It does also appear Sky sent everyone with activation dates between X and X a message saying the router had been dispatched with no regard for the actual status.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

^^^ listen to this person rather than me. That's the best advice I can give.

cposkitt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Melrosegate
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123