Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Where's my router?

This is a discussion on Where's my router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; if i phone up sky and explain that i am having router problems and think it may be faulty, will ...

bigmike20vt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01440
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk Fibre
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Where's my router?

if i phone up sky and explain that i am having router problems and think it may be faulty, will they just send me another or will i have to send by the old one?

the reason i ask is it seems some of these netgear routers are more sensitive to less than ideal tlephone internal wrinig than others..... however i have flashed my router to stock firmware so they may get the hump if i have to send it back
      Fiat Coupe. Gone but not forgotten

2. Advertisement
      plasticam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well,
      I just called them again and was given a totally different story (as expected).

This time the router has been dispatched around the 5th Sept, they have no consignment number (i asked for it) until a few days after the activation date (this kind of says that they haven’t sent it and will send it once the lines activated).

There is a delay with a parcel force backlog and they have been told to inform anyone who is due to go live around the next few days there is a delay because of parcel force.

There was no further information available and i was to call back in a couple of days for a tracking number

I am looking forward to the service but this part is bad, almost like dealing with some unscrupulous eBay member who has not sent your goods!

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well, the router still hasn't turned up, and my line has now been switched over, so I'm reduced to connecting via my mobile at like a billion quid per megabyte.

I'm getting fairly good stats on my un-authenticated connection though…

Code:
      Mode:                   ADSL2+
      Channel:                Fast
      Trellis:                ON
      Line Status:            No Defect
      Training Status:        Showtime
                      Down            Up
      SNR (dB):       12.8            14.0
      Attn(dB):       24.5            12.9
      Pwr(dBm):       14.5            12.6
      Max(Kbps):      19040           864
      Rate (Kbps):    15323           764
                              G.dmt framing
      K:              239(0)          24
      R:              16              16
      S:              1               8
      D:              0               0
                              ADSL2 framing
      MSGc:           59              68
      B:              238             23
      M:              1               8
      T:              2               1
      R:              16              16
      S:              0.4980          7.7037
      L:              4096            216
      D:              64              8
                              Counters
      SF:             86254           86252
      SFErr:          0               1
      RS:             11213138        733142
      RSCorr:         303             0
      RSUnCorr:       0               0

HEC:            0               0
      OCD:            0               0
      LCD:            0               0
      Total Cells:    50452155        2513132
      Data Cells:     7               20
      Drop Cells:     0
      Bit Errors:     0               0

ES:             0               1
      SES:            0               0
      UAS:            17              22
      It'll be nice when I get the damned router.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

will they just send me another or will i have to send by the old one?
      When I received a replacement router, a label was included to send back the faulty router, which I did. However other users have said that they did not receive a 'send it back' form so have just held on to, or even sold, the supposedly faulty router. I was told on the phone that I had 6 months to send it back and if I didn't I would be charged for it.

If you receive 'send it back' forms, you would be well advised to do so, or you may receive a bill in a few months time. I cannot believe that Sky has sent out 100s of replacement routers without requiring the return of the faulty ones. It should be possible to return the firmware to Sky's by using the file on the CD.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

cposkitt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Melrosegate
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My line should've been switched over today, but still no router (I'm posting here from my parents' house). I could really do with it by Friday.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Before I was actually switched over to Sky, I was just planning to take this inconvenience with a degree of stoicism, but frankly now that I have been switched over without receiving my router, I can't. I'm just fuming.

I've got a 16Mbit ADSL connection running in to my house. My router is sync'ing perfectly with the exchange. And there's only one thing stopping me using this wonderful ADSL connection and that's that I haven't got a connection username and password.

And all because some "bright spark" at Sky thought it would be a good idea not to give their customers a connection username and password, but instead provide them with a router with it hard-coded in. Maybe this "bright spark" thought it would make it all so much easier. I mean, if I have an idea at work, it has to be assessed for benefit, cost, risks and contingencies. Don't they do that at Sky? It wouldn't have taken a genius to work out that router supply becomes a weak point in the plan, nor would it have been too hard to work out a contingent plan of action if there is a problem with getting a router out the customer.

It's all just so stoopid, stoopid, stoopid.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Before I was actually switched over to Sky, I was just planning to take this inconvenience with a degree of stoicism, but frankly now that I have been switched over without receiving my router, I can't. I'm just fuming.

I've got a 16Mbit ADSL connection running in to my house. My router is sync'ing perfectly with the exchange. And there's only one thing stopping me using this wonderful ADSL connection and that's that I haven't got a connection username and password.

And all because some "bright spark" at Sky thought it would be a good idea not to give their customers a connection username and password, but instead provide them with a router with it hard-coded in. Maybe this "bright spark" thought it would make it all so much easier. I mean, if I have an idea at work, it has to be assessed for benefit, cost, risks and contingencies. Don't they do that at Sky? It wouldn't have taken a genius to work out that router supply becomes a weak point in the plan, nor would it have been too hard to work out a contingent plan of action if there is a problem with getting a router out the customer.

It's all just so stoopid, stoopid, stoopid.
      purely to limit the number of router settings Sky have to support - nothing more, nothing less.....

one router, one set of problems = easier to train staff

and as Sky's target market are people who aren't computer literate and just want access this is the logical solution...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      purely to limit the number of router settings Sky have to support - nothing more, nothing less.....

one router, one set of problems = easier to train staff

and as Sky's target market are people who aren't computer literate and just want access this is the logical solution...
      Well, it's not so much the policy as the planning process behind that policy. If I were to come up with an idea at work - "instead of doing this the way everyone else in the industry does it, why don't we it differently" - the idea would be scrutinised for the benefits, the costs and the risks. If risks are identified, contingency plans for those risks would be looked at. It's not rocket science, it's how any decent company works.

The person at Sky who came up with the idea of supplying routers with hard-wired usernames and passwords clearly didn't think about the risks - what if there are supply chain issues? what if a router develops a fault? Having a mechanism for issuing emergency, temporary connection username/password pairs would have been a solution to that risk, with minimal overhead.

As an aside, Sky seem to have problems with supply that go beyond their customised (and therefore more prone to supply problems) routers. When I ordered an HD box from them, I was told it would be delivered in 2 to 3 days. After 2 weeks, I (and my lovely new HD TV) gave up waiting and I went to an independent aerial installer who was able to supply and install one of Sky's HD boxes in less than 24 hours.

First impressions count for a lot. What I'm saying is that Sky's decision not to consider and plan for the risks involved in their router policy is stupid. I'm tied into a 12 month contract now, and 12 months from now, I'm probably going to end up staying with Sky. (Assuming the router's arrived by then). But this horrendous initial experience means that I won't be suggesting to friends and family that they consider switching to Sky, because I wouldn't wish this kind of grief on anyone, let alone someone I liked.

Now imagine how things should have gone. "My line's been switched over to Sky, but my router hasn't arrived!" I say tearfully into the phone. "I'm sorry to hear that Sir, but we have been having supply problems with our customised routers. Do you have your own router? If you do, I can give you a temporary username and password which will keep you going until the Sky router arrives."

Instead of fuming with anger, I'd be thrilled to bits with my wonderful 16Mbit broadband service, recommending it to anyone and everyone. Everyone ends up happy and all without abandoning the policy of supply customised routers, and the benefits that gives to less technically-minded customers.

jimmyca69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had same problem

Signed up for Sky end of August, got a few letters on 4th Sept (letters dated 29th Aug) saying i would shortly receive activation date and sky router.

On Friday 7th - still hadnt received router or activation date but my net connection was lost. I rang sky and eventually got info that activation date was the 7th. Cut a long story short, and after several phone calls i too stumbled across the lack of username and password despite me having a perfectly good DG834G router ready. Eventually on Tuesday the router arrived and am now on Sky.

Still havent actually received a letter telling me activation date and i will be on to them tonight to refund me the £30 activation fee to cover the 4 days i went without the net.

plasticam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well the connection has gone off and reading my existing router it says:

Downstream:15323
      Up: 764

Will i be getting a good speed when the router eventually turns up?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast