Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router Problem: Green power light & amber tick light flashing alternately

This is a discussion on Router Problem: Green power light & amber tick light flashing alternately within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I connect to Sky broadband via the ethernet cable, and haven't really had any problems in the last 6 ...

bvmjain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router Problem: Green power light & amber tick light flashing alternately

Hi, I connect to Sky broadband via the ethernet cable, and haven't really had any problems in the last 6 months or so.

Computer & internet connecttion left on pretty much continuously.

Yesterday evening, after returning to the computer I noticed, that I was disconnected from the internet as I could not access any sites, I noticed that the green power light and the amber tick' light were flashing alternately, and no internet connection light was on.
      After removing the plug, and waiting a few moments, and replugging the power supply, everything was fine. (Internet
      light back on, and the power/tick lights had stopped flashing.

However, a couple of hours of browsing later, and the same problem has occurred.

I have tried unplugging the power supply repeatedly, but the power light & tick light now are continually flashing alternately.

Any ideas as to what I need to do to get my broadband connection back ?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Router Problem: Green power light & amber tick light flashing alternately

When these lights flash alternately, it usually means the router is in 'flash mode' ie, it is ready to receive new firmware. If you have not done this intentionally, the router may be faulty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bvmjain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, just an update for the techies who may be interested in the solution to this weird issue.

I had the router plugged into a 2 socket electrical cable extension reel (3m unwound).

The other socket had a printer plugged in.
      (Computer / monitor /speakers plugged into a wall socket).
      I hadn't touched this set up in the last 6 months.
      Someone on another forum mentioned the possibility of a problem power supply.
      I unplugged the router from the extension reel socket, and also removed the printer plug, and SWAPPED the two plugs around. (I.e plugged the router into where the printer was plugged in and vice-versa)

For some bizzarre reason, the router came back to life as 'normal' i.e. the lights stopped flashing & internet connection back-up.

I have no idea why this worked - as I had spent an entire evening plugging & unplugging the router from its original socket.
      I haven't touched the connections since (& wil not tempt fate by doing so again).

However, I will be buying another router for emergency back-up, because 3 days of wading through treacle with basic-dial up internet access was horrendous !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you tried returning the router to it's original power socket? Or don't you want to tempt fate

If you do and it does not work, the answer is a new extension.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.