Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wired is great. Wireless is awful and unstable. Tried all channels and setting. Help

This is a discussion on Wired is great. Wireless is awful and unstable. Tried all channels and setting. Help within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My previous Belkin Router did not have any of these issues. The Sky router on the other hand just cant ...

TDX
      TDX is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wired is great. Wireless is awful and unstable. Tried all channels and setting. Help

My previous Belkin Router did not have any of these issues. The Sky router on the other hand just cant deliver a steady speed nor connections.

My wired connection is fine 100% of the time. I am getting 15363 down speed. I download at about 1.4-1.5MB a sec. Wireless sometimes acheives this but it mostly (90%) spends time in the 20KB per sec category on the best performing devices. Signal strength is down from my previous Belkin, on some computers it s down to 11 Mbps from 48 - 56Mbps. Tried every channel. UPNP on/off. Changed encryption settings. There is no stable connection with this router. Also UPnP is broken.

Any solutions? I want to cancel Virgin but i cant since the Sky router seems pretty rubbish so far.

2. Advertisement
      slinky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wired is great. Wireless is awful and unstable. Tried all channels and setting. H

I had a similar experience with wireless, after weeks of trying to improve it I just gave up and went back to wired.
      I dont think it helped that there were about 6 other wireless networks in my area aswell.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wired is great. Wireless is awful and unstable. Tried all channels and setting. H

Wireless reception seems to be variable by its nature. Try raising the router above furniture level and try moving the computer (or the adapter/aerial if USB or PCI).

This weekend I moved my computer about 13 feet across the room and raised it 12 inches -- wireless strength went from around 51% to (currently) 73%.

Obviously interference doesn't help and if you can detect neighbouring wifi change frequency to (ideally) 6 channels away from strongest neighbour. Having said that, I am surrounded by wifi with around 20 stations in various directions and most are on channels 6, 11 or 1 -- and I'm getting decent performance on 8.

One useful dodge is to put the router and computer near windows on the same side of the building.

TDX
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

my wireless belkin on virgin does not have these issues. Havent been able to improve sky router much

big bob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAR
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I don't have a problem with the wireless reception. In fact the opposite to your problem.

I previously had a BT voyager 2500V and getting a decent signal from that proved difficult at times, especially in bad weather.

Since getting the Sky router i have had a full strength signal all the time. It is in exactly the same place as the BT router was. There are 5 other networks in close proximity and none of these seem to affect me.

Difficult to say why you have a problem. I assume there aren't any other electrical devices close to the router, cordless phones etc.

TDX
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Its weird because its in the same place as my old Belkin. Yet the Belkin has no issues.

SKy's connection is also unstable when i test using my laptop near the router. It gets a 99-100% signal yet speed varies massively from full to 8kb. Doesnt make sense why its so unstable. Faulty router?