Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting to all Computers

This is a discussion on Connecting to all Computers within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey there, I recently got my sky router (after some looooong waiting) and was extremely excited to connect to the ...

zabibooz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connecting to all Computers

Hey there,

I recently got my sky router (after some looooong waiting) and was extremely excited to connect to the net.

Alas my first problem arised. My computer which is a few years old meets all the requirements except that there isnt an ethernet input port and just one for a standard phone line.

The problem with this is that to be able to connect to the net the first time i am required to connect the computer directly to the router and install the software on the CD, which i cannot do.

So i decided to connect it to my Mac PowerBook instead. This worked a charm, no problems whatsoever.

With previous experiences i learnt that you only need to connect the router to one PC and then the rest can just connect automatically to the router via Wi-Fi.

Even after finding the wireless signal and then typing in the password correctly, the computer is still not allowed access.

Is there anyway that i can connect without using the ethernet cable the first time or is that the only way?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      wedgehog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rugby
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connecting to all Computers

Hello Zabibooz, that's easy mate, buy a NIC card (Network Interface Card) from your local pc shop, they are only a few pounds, take the cover off your pc (With the power off) plug the card into one of the PCI slots (The long sockets across the back of the circuit board) put the cover back on , power up and install the software from the disk and you now have a RSJ45 socket at the back of your pc to connect to the router,
      The wireless problem you are having could be for many reasons, wireless is a pain. Usually it's down to TCP not being set to automatically get the IP address on the PC's. Incorrectly set security, incorrectly set firewalls on the pc's. The pc's not set up correctly for networking. Oh don't forget that you do need to set the SSID the same on all the wireless connections including the router and the security password has to be set in the router.Oh and make sure the box is ticked in the router to ENABLE the wireless sytem.
      There are loads of sites on the net about setting up wireless and the problems, just do a search. I think fitting the NIC card is the quickest option. Good luck
      Last edited by wedgehog; 30-08-07 at 12:03 PM.

allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Connecting to all Computers

Quote Originally Posted by zabibooz View Post
      Hey there,

I recently got my sky router (after some looooong waiting) and was extremely excited to connect to the net.

Alas my first problem arised. My computer which is a few years old meets all the requirements except that there isnt an ethernet input port and just one for a standard phone line.

The problem with this is that to be able to connect to the net the first time i am required to connect the computer directly to the router and install the software on the CD, which i cannot do.

So i decided to connect it to my Mac PowerBook instead. This worked a charm, no problems whatsoever.

With previous experiences i learnt that you only need to connect the router to one PC and then the rest can just connect automatically to the router via Wi-Fi.

Even after finding the wireless signal and then typing in the password correctly, the computer is still not allowed access.

Is there anyway that i can connect without using the ethernet cable the first time or is that the only way?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

There's really no (absolute) need to connect by wire at all except that a wired connection (usually) provides an easy way to check if BB is being received - it reads like you've checked this with you Mac so that bits ok.

Others have suggested how to achieve a wired connection to your PC but if you are set on having wireless you need to be sure you have the capacity (built in or added). How many PCs without ethenet connectivity have wireless capacity?? - just a thought. Wireless adapters can be added if needed but the process may be a bit complicated if you haven't got USB.