Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router gone bang and spent waaay too long getting it replaced.

This is a discussion on Router gone bang and spent waaay too long getting it replaced. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; This morning the Sky router just suddenly stopped working, no lights on front, wouldn't reset, nothing totally dead. Then we ...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Router gone bang and spent waaay too long getting it replaced.

This morning the Sky router just suddenly stopped working, no lights on front, wouldn't reset, nothing totally dead.

Then we had to spend over an hour trying to convince customer services in some far off land that my router had died and all we got for an age was that:

1) there was nothing wrong with the line - We know the router has died
      2) have you tried going to the sky website - Um no we have no internet due to router dieing.
      3) have you unplugged and replugged it back in - yes and still nothing apart from the ruddy thing electrocuting me even when the socket was off.

After 90 mins of circular argument we think that they have agreed to replace the router although they may just had said it to get rid of us and now I am having to use my very old Belkin router and that has a knackered wireless ariel and so the wife isn't happy as she cannot use her laptop.

Sheesh after this long I think it would have been cheaper buying my own netgear router......

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Router gone bang and spent waaay too long getting it replaced.

Probably worth keeping a spare Sky router (or similar) handy -- plenty on e-bay and they've started appearing at car boot sales, got mine for 6.

Thanks

Well I had this old thing so I can get back up and running and I have dug up a spare wireless access point so we have some wi-fi again. (even though signal strength is rubbish).

Although this router seems to be a lot more stable and seems to load pages a lot quicker, anyways just got to make it last a week or so before the new sky one comes.

castro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hythe, Kent
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you acquire a Sky Router from say ebay, I assume it is possible to change the username and password that Sky have preloaded.
      If so, how is it done?

Thanks

I assume that you can flash it to have the regular Netgear firmware and put your old Sky details into it.

One interesting thing is that my temporary belkin router that I am using until the new Sky one appears is actually tracking the noise ratio and keeping it to 7.0db so I don't have to keep on rebooting the router at night.

So it's confirmed it's not Sky's fault, it's a Netgear issue and that needs to be fixed fast, although I assume that the firmware fix will never appear.

wedgehog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rugby
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by castro View Post
      If you acquire a Sky Router from say ebay, I assume it is possible to change the username and password that Sky have preloaded.
      If so, how is it done?
      This is well documented in the forums mate, have a good read

wedgehog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rugby
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      I assume that you can flash it to have the regular Netgear firmware and put your old Sky details into it.

One interesting thing is that my temporary belkin router that I am using until the new Sky one appears is actually tracking the noise ratio and keeping it to 7.0db so I don't have to keep on rebooting the router at night.

So it's confirmed it's not Sky's fault, it's a Netgear issue and that needs to be fixed fast, although I assume that the firmware fix will never appear.
      Yes intresting that isn't it? My mate was having all sorts of problems like you are so we re flashed his router to standard Netgear firmware and then put his user name and password into it, and now its as solid as a rock ???

Trouble is though we can't leave it like that can we because it's against the T's and C's so why the hell don't sky issue a firmware upgrade for their router
      Last edited by wedgehog; 30-08-07 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Forgot the rear cover !!!

kiwiwannabe1982 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

First router from sky had all working lights but wouldnt connect
      ...tier 3 couldnt figure it out so deemed the router faulty (more likely they half finished the job, given i got a " your sky broadband is now alive....enjoy" message 36 hours after my net connection went down
      After waiting 6 days for sky to dispatch a replacement router (methinks as I had a falling out with a very rude woman somewhere in england)(the router looks antique, design looks older than my initial router) it finally turned up today with a variable I light and a non functional tick light.....and after a call to argentina or some other hispanic country it now connects but still no lights. The only helpful sky staff member Ive spoken to is in Argentina and I only got through as I demanded a supervisor repeatadly till they caved in and stopped bleating about 2 minute call referral cut-offs (THE most stupid policy on the entire earth).
      So I'll give them the year and see how it goes......hopefully I dont end up without broadband again for a week....makes ordering the wife's medicine a royal pain in the backside given the busyness of the docs phone lines.

Thanks

Yup you know when Sky is your broadband provider, the replacement has just arrived and it came with a power brick and was obviously a refurb.

The powerbrick was covered in house dust with the power cord wrapped around the plug and the router chrome front was scratched to heck.

Oh well as long as this thing works.......