Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Some questions about Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Some questions about Sky Broadband within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; In next few months I will be moving out of my family home. I wish to have broadband for 2 ...

Scottyboy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Some questions about Sky Broadband

In next few months I will be moving out of my family home. I wish to have broadband for 2 Pc's that we will have. I have several questions:-

Will the Sky router allow us to have a home network whereby we can shares files and a printer, currently at home we are on BT and I have the modem along with 3 other pc's all plugged via ethernet into a netgear switch and the network works great, all pc's can share files/printers and access boradband? Will the sky router take care of all that with the 2 pc's we plan to plug in? And if we go wireless with the laptop will it still see my ethernet plugged desktop on our home network?

I don't want additional software/anti virus & extra drivers on my desktop as I already have all that. I will be plugging in via ethernet. Is it just a case of plug the ethernet in on my desktop and once the line is broadband enabled start surfing? Presumably you'd only need to go through the cd when making a wireless connection?

Can you forward ports on the router? I play online games some of which require various ports to be open. In particular I like Pro Evolution Soccer 6 and it took some fiddling with our BT router to work out how to open the right ports. If the Sky Router doesn't allow for this then I simply won't opt for their broadband as playing Pro Evo 6 online (sad I know!) is a big part of my enjoyment of using broadband.

Many thanks in advance

Wayne

2. Advertisement
      jewkesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Some questions about Sky Broadband

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy99 View Post
      Will the Sky router allow us to have a home network whereby we can shares files and a printer, currently at home we are on BT and I have the modem along with 3 other pc's all plugged via ethernet into a netgear switch and the network works great, all pc's can share files/printers and access boradband? Will the sky router take care of all that with the 2 pc's we plan to plug in? And if we go wireless with the laptop will it still see my ethernet plugged desktop on our home network?
      Yes it will. The router has 4 ethernet ports. While I can't answer the printer question as I don't have one, file sharing is fine. I have no problems mixing wired and wireless and happily share files and use the internet

I don't want additional software/anti virus & extra drivers on my desktop as I already have all that. I will be plugging in via ethernet. Is it just a case of plug the ethernet in on my desktop and once the line is broadband enabled start surfing? Presumably you'd only need to go through the cd when making a wireless connection?
      You don't need to install anything. You don't even need the CD you get with the router.

Can you forward ports on the router? I play online games some of which require various ports to be open. In particular I like Pro Evolution Soccer 6 and it took some fiddling with our BT router to work out how to open the right ports. If the Sky Router doesn't allow for this then I simply won't opt for their broadband as playing Pro Evo 6 online (sad I know!) is a big part of my enjoyment of using broadband.
      Yes you can port forward.

Hope this helps!
      "Man who walk through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok..."

Scottyboy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That's brill. Thanks for the quick response!

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

i can see my printer from all my computers, however i dont have any ink so i cant check lol