Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Random Disconnects / Slow Pings

This is a discussion on Random Disconnects / Slow Pings within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ok... I'll make this as short as possible and simple so I stand the best chance of someone helping... Previous ...

Mike020389 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Random Disconnects / Slow Pings

Ok... I'll make this as short as possible and simple so I stand the best chance of someone helping...

Previous ISP

I was with AOL for the last 2 years, when I use to think that they were the worst ISP in the world, with the problems I've been having with Sky, I hate to say I'm having second thoughts...

Random Disconnects

Well ok... I switched from AOL to Sky Max using a MAC code on the 22nd of August, I noticed that the internet didn't work with my beloved Belkins Router so my sister suggested trying the Netgear Sky sent us and behold the internet worked... bearly.

I tend to get random disconnects of sorts... they are only about 1-2 seconds long, but that still kicks me from online games, and its stranger with my browser... the router shows its getting the internet, under Network Connections the connection status bar says my computer is getting internet, yet no pages will load claiming the internet is down...

The only solution I have found so far, is turning the router off for 10 seconds then back on, and then restarting my computer, why why why is it doing that?

Sometimes I get 1 Disconnect a day, and today I got 5 in 1 hours... I really cannot put up with this...

Internet Speed / Pinger

I did various pinger tests before and after I switched to sky, with AOL they were around 101-160, with sky now its, 120-201 which is worse... 1mb broadband to 8mb? what is going on?...

Huh? 5.6Mb? I signed up for 8mb...

Conclussion

Why is my router disconnecting randomly, why is it so hard for me to reconnect and why is my internet slower with sky (8mb) then is was with AOL (1mb)

And if no one know what to do to fix it, got any suggestions of who I should to call, my phone provider etc, thanks.

---

Anyway, I tryed all the suggestions from the Sky CD and most of the guides here and nothing seems to match my problem... I hope someone can... and will help me...

Regards
      -Mike020389
      Last edited by Mike020389; 24-08-07 at 12:33 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Random Disconnects / Slow Pings

In the year or so I've been contributing to this forum there have only been a handful out of the thousands of problems that didn't get solved - no reason why yours shouldn't be

A bit more info would help but first off let's try a fix for one of the commonest reasons for disconnections: the UPnP "bug". Log into your router and uncheck UPnP then click apply.

If that doesn't help then please post your full stats having ensured your router has been worked hard for at least a couple of hours since the last disconnection. Also, please give details of how your router is connected e.g. master socket/extension etc, how your PC is connected plus any other info you think relevant. What I can see from the info you've given is that you probably have line issues (you have a low sync for your attenuation) but let's see what the stats show.

You may also find the first sticky in my signature useful background reading.
      Last edited by Saturday; 24-08-07 at 01:22 AM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hehe thank you for reply, I will untick that UPnP thing, but... I think I read somewhere that, that has sometime to do with wireless? 2 out of 3 computers (including this one) use ethernet cables, while the laptop downstairs uses wireless, although thats very buggy atm aswell.

Anyway, I will try this, give it a full day, and if it still disconnects I will try the 2nd suggestions, I will also read your signature links.

Many thanks
      -Mike020389

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

uPNP can effect both wireless and wired. Also line errors can be a major problem as well, I had the same problem as you. I had been with BT on 2mb for 4 years with no issues, when I joined Sky my problems started constant disconnections etc etc, when I posted my full stats I was told I had massive line errors. It turned out my line didn't like Skys faster speeds and it turned out the problem was in my own house! poor extension wiring, I made a few small changes there and all my problems were resolved!
      First thing is to post your full stats best done after the computer has been connected for a few hours with heavy internet usage thats if you can keep it connected for that long, and one of the first things to try is to find your BT master socket thats the first one as the line comes in the house and remove the face plate, if its an NTE5 which is the most common you will find a test socket, plug your router in there and it will connect you straight onto the BT line disconnecting any extensions, so if things improve there then you know you have a wiring problem, also avoid plug in telephone extension leads they tend to be poor quality and cause noise.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I haven't had a disconnect all day yet, connection seems to have been up for 13hours+ so far.

When I first wanted to join Sky I checked if it was possible in my area, when I typed my phone number the website claimed I was on a "Cable phone line and/or non-BT provider" which is not true, so I'm guessing its very possible there may be something wrong with the phone line as the internet speed is still annoying slow.

I believe I understand what you are asking me to do with the BT socket... well, the master socket is downstairs and awhile ago we had a person over to make an extenstion to upstairs, since... well thats where the 2 gaming computers are (router plugged into a converted BT socket, meaning it was something else before or was sealed for some reason), extenstion cable is a about... 8-10 meters long... best guess, but Ill try and see if the internet is faster downstairs, I cannot unplug the phone though, since we are using the filter thing, my mom recieves so many phone calls from work its not funny.

I had an idea though, if I plug in the router downstairs and it is indeed faster, and I made the computers upstairs wireless, would they be faster as the router is in the main socket... yet the distance for the wireless is about 5-7 meters, through solid walls etc.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Up to nine out of ten problems with ADSL2 are caused by bad internal wiring. Do as Koala says and plug into the test socket. There is no reason why you can't also have the phone plugged in as well. Very occasionally a faulty phone will cause problems, but don't worry about that at the moment. Isolating your internal wiring is more important at this stage. Depending on the results, further advice will be given, but for the moment, take your detailed stats from where the router is now, move it to the Test socket, run for 24 hours, take the stats and post both sets on here.

Wireless reception depends on a lot of factors, the performance you will get can only be confirmed by trying. It is always better to get the connection sorted out wired, then work on the wireless problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.