Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changing SNR

This is a discussion on Changing SNR within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've found that at peak times (6 and 11 ish) my router disconnects. People often recomend rebooting the router at ...

JohnSayce is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broomhill Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Changing SNR

I've found that at peak times (6 and 11 ish) my router disconnects. People often recomend rebooting the router at this time so it connects at a lower speed to account for this however I've found that the increase in noise is so dramatic that this doesnt work so I've increased the noise margin using mognuts utility at which point everything works fine.

This is all well and good however I'm in the unfortunate position of having a token meter for my electric and as such about once a month my power goes off to remind me to top up the electricity. Of course I could top it up before it goes off but hell I'm just not that organised. As such the change in the noise margin setting is lost and my router reverst to losign connection once a day until I once again set the noise margin.

Is there any way I can change this setting permanently even after the power has gone out? OR even better is there a way I could get the Seamless Rate Adaption to actually work and not lose connection at peak times and keep this setting also.
      Last edited by JohnSayce; 23-08-07 at 11:56 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Changing SNR

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSayce View Post
      Is there any way I can change this setting permanently even after the power has gone out? OR even better is there a way I could get the Seamless Rate Adaption to actually work and not lose connection at peak times and keep this setting also.
      No, you can't but Sky can by capping you.

Sky, in common with just about every other ISP in the world hasn't implemented SRA - presumably because it doesn't work reliably.

BTW. If you're experiencing a huge noise margin swing then this is one symptom of a poor line. Have you tried improving it?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      BTW. If you're experiencing a huge noise margin swing then this is one symptom of a poor line. Have you tried improving it?
      No but in all honesty I'm not too keen about giving it a go either.

I've had it plugged into the main socket and an extension. There was the same problems either way and the same solution so it really doesnt make a difference so I'll stick with the extension.

I wouldnt doubt for a second that my line isnt the best because the wire isnt attatched very well to the side of my house before it gets to the telphone pole. The master socket is pretty old and I'm pretty sure the person that wired in the extention has connected it into the wrong part (although I'm guessing due to the general shoddy workmanship.) However the problem with it is that I cant take the face plate off because its berried into my windows and I'm not keen to dive into this wihtout a garauntee in results that I doubt anyone could offer.

Although as the increase in noise is at six and eleven on a weekday I'd guess it was cross talk. As such I didnt think there was anything I could do about it. Although I'm open to suggestions. My attenuation is about 30db and most of the time my noise margin is about 14db.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I'm sure crosstalk is playing a part but that wouldn't account for a huge swing. There will be other factors, in particular rf interference. If you were able to access your sockets I'd recommend removing the ring wire as this tends to act as a big aerial.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      I'm sure crosstalk is playing a part but that wouldn't account for a huge swing. There will be other factors, in particular rf interference. If you were able to access your sockets I'd recommend removing the ring wire as this tends to act as a big aerial.
      Okay I'll bare this in mind. Thanks.

TELEMETRY is offline Sky User Clan Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had the same problem, my service was erratic of an evening, I simply emailed sky broadband support, received one telephone call, was cappped down by just 1mb and now I have a completely stable service. In fact I can't even remember when I lost my service so that fixed it for me.