Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Sky Router Problem

This is a discussion on Sky Router Problem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have a problem with my connection. I have three PC’s connected to the router, one by Ethernet, the other ...

smart1gordon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fareham
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:

Sky Router Problem

I have a problem with my connection. I have three PC’s connected to the router, one by Ethernet, the other two wirelessly. Generally, things have been running without a problem for about nine months and I have not changed any setup on either the router or any of the PC’s.

Since last weekend, one, two or all three of the PC’s come up with an error trying to connect to the internet. The error message is in the status bar and it says “Limited or no connectivity”. I have tried the network repair facility but to no avail. The only way I can overcome the problem is to reboot the router by unplugging it as I can’t logon to it (via Admin) and do a reboot from within the software. I can logon to it under normal circumstances when I get no error message but it seems to get into state that won’t allow me to access it.

Having rebooted, the problem goes away for a short time, anything from 1 to 4 hours. Everything works normally and then it starts again.

I have also reset the settings back to the original using the reset button on the rear of the router but the problem still comes back.

I have rang Sky Technical Support but they say that the line is fine and they can see my router at their end. They say the problem must be with my PC’s which I doubt. I might have a problem with one PC but not three simultaneously all having the same issues. From my wireless PC’s, I am able to access a neighbour’s unsecured network without a problem although I know I shouldn’t do it. I am almost 100% sure that the router is the cause of the problems and I have tried explaining that to the people at Sky but they are no accepting what I say.

Any thoughts or ideas before I ring them again? It costs a fortune ringing the 0870 number to have to go through the same questions and answers again. I don’t want to get told that they can see no problem.

Many thanks.
      Last edited by smart1gordon; 21-08-07 at 09:17 PM.

2. Advertisement
      jewkesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:

Re: Sky Router Problem

It may be worth getting the router to send an email of the log to yourself at a time when you believe it starts to go. If you set it tp every hour, hopefully something useful will be reported, because a reset will wipe the log.

It may also be worth turning wireless off and keeping an eye on it using Ethernet.

It does sound odd. I sometime have a similar problem where i can't log into the router if there is a significant amount of noise on the line. its as though the router is polling the line constantly and i can hear a clicking. It's worth picking up the phone and seeing if you can hear a crackle (dial 1471 just to make a call).

Also, try turning off uPNP. That tends to solve a lot of problems
      "Man who walk through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok..."