Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Am i missing something - help needed.

This is a discussion on Am i missing something - help needed. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I have read through the forums and have failed to see the same problem as my own... I ...

Ronseal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stambridge
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Am i missing something - help needed.

Hi all,

I have read through the forums and have failed to see the same problem as my own...

I have been with Sky for 8 weeks, and up until 2 days ago, i had no problems apart from the random disconnections (nothing serious).
      I live about 1.5 kilometres from my local exchange, which is a rural exchange in terms of the number of people it serves, but otherwise appears up to date.

My line is direct from my house, across about 1.5 km of field, directly to the exchange, thats how rural i am.

When Sky was ordered i was promised about 6 - 7 mb, and i would of been happy with half that.
      On installation, suffered the usual settling in period with varying speeds, and after a week it had settled on 7mb, i normally download at about 700kb.

No complaints, very happy, a few days ago, when i rebooted the router i noticed the connection speed was about a 1000 kbps, and on speedtests that was the speed i got, this continued until this morning, when the router connected my speeds were 7392 down 448 up.

Result i thought, it's back to normal, but on speedtests it would again stay at around 1mb...
      I tried all the sites i could find, and tried downloads i had got before, etc, stuck at around 1mb.

I noticed though, that on the speedtests, my speed wouldnt slowly climb to 1mb, as it had before when my router reflected that speed, the 'needle' was now shooting up to 1mb instantly and would 'jam' at 1mb until the download finished, upload speeds are the usual 400kb.

I suspect my router is showing the correct speed of around 7mb, but i cannot say why i hit 1mb on all the tests.

I hope the above is not to confusing, here are my stats;

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 7392 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 8.8 23.0
      Attn(dB): 15.5 18.5
      Pwr(dBm): 19.8 12.3
      Max(Kbps): 8160 1144
      Rate (Kbps): 7392 448
      G.dmt framing
      K: 232(0) 15
      R: 16 8
      S: 1 8
      D: 32 4
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 232 15
      M: 1 8
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 8
      S: 1.0686 8.5000
      L: 1864 128
      D: 32 4
      Counters
      SF: 177904 177902
      SFErr: 0 0
      RS: 12097512 1512167
      RSCorr: 3512 0
      RSUnCorr: 0 0

HEC: 0 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 52729382 0
      Data Cells: 538780 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 0 0
      SES: 0 0
      UAS: 14 0
      Total time = 50 min 47 sec
      SF = 177904
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Latest 1 day time = 50 min 47 sec
      SF = 177904
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Latest 15 minutes time = 5 min 47 sec
      SF = 20408
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52989
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0

Many thanks,

Baffled of Essex.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Am i missing something - help needed.

On the face of it your stats look fine and with these you should easily achieve the maximum available to you. However, errors often come in bursts over a short period, so you should run for 24 hours, doing as much downloading as you can, then post the result.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

spawnyuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redruth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

does this look like a common capping from the isp.? if he is getting an 8th of his connection with no line faults, could sky have flicked that speed strangling switch.?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

@isitme

Errors bad enough to cause throughput to be that low would almost certainly prevent a sync of nearly 8meg and would definitely be appearing in the stats covering an hour. Whilst errors may be contributing to a reduction in throughput it is extremely unlikely to be the main cause.

@spawnyuk

Capping is when the ISP reduces the sync rate and this isn't what's happening here. Throttling throughput is known on Connect however which is what Ronseal appears to be on even though his profile says Mid. Never heard of Connect being that badly throttled though.

@Ronseal

There are a number of possible reasons why your throughput is so low (compared to your sync). The most common/likely is that you're wireless and have a poor wireless signal. Next would be an overloaded speedtest server. Next would be incorrect TCP/IP settings. Next would be malware/another LAN user taking the bandwidth. Next gross line errors. After that then it's equipment/cabling issues.

My money is on you being wireless. What speed do you get here wired?

If less than ~6meg then see the second sticky in my signature.

However, if none of this helps then there is one more thing. From your stats it looks to me like you're on Connect not Mid as your profile says. In this case an underlying issue could be in an incorrect setting being determined as part of the exchange rate adaption. Sky would have to ask BT to investigate this.

Please change your Skyuser profile.

HTH
      Last edited by Saturday; 19-08-07 at 04:02 PM.