Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router Speeds

This is a discussion on Router Speeds within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi folks , can someone please tell me why my Netgear DG834GT router which is rated at 108Mbps only shows ...

Wildwill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holywell
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Router Speeds

Hi folks , can someone please tell me why my Netgear DG834GT router which is rated at 108Mbps only shows up as transmiting at 54Mbps on my laptop even though it says it has an excellent signal. I`ve been onto T3 many many times and they just keep going over the same things every time ie change filters , move router , get rid of extension lead. Today they got me to reduce my MTU but it`s still only 54Mbps. Do you think it`s a problem with the router or could my laptop be configured wrong. Please help me!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Router Speeds

Have you set your router up for 108 mode? Is you laptop compatible with 108?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi , I don`t know if my router or laptop is set up for 108 , how would I go about this , I`ve got a Vaio VGN-A617S that`s just over 12 months old. Please advise!

Thanks

Your laptop should be fine. To check the router open the status page, type http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar, then admin for user and sky for password. Click the Wireless Settings link at the top of the left side, then use the drop down box to set it to Auto 108mbps. Click apply and that's it.

Remember, even if you connect to the router at this speed, the internet speed will be way below this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply Isitme. I did what you suggested and it made no difference. When I run the cursor over my connection icon it displays SSID : SKY 30362, Speed 54Mbps, Encryption TKIP. Then when I run it over the wireless connection icon it shows Speed 54Mbps , Signal Strength Excellent. Sometimes the signal strength goes down to 21Mbps and I lose the connection. These are exactly the same readings that I used to get with my BT router which was rated at 54Mbps so how do I know that the Sky router is working properly or not. Hope you can help.

Thanks

Having done a bit of reading on the subject, I am afraid I have to correct my comment on your Laptop. It appears that wireless speeds over 54mbps are achieved by propriety methods and each manufacturer uses a different method. To see a speed of 108mbps you would have to use a Netgear adapter capable of this speed, something like THIS Even then you may not get the full speed.

I think it is important to understand that speeds like this are only useful when used within a local network. It will be a long time before this speed will be available on the internet.

There is also a good chance that your line is generating errors thus causing your speed to drop. If you can post your detailed stats, taken from a wired connection to the Master ocket, someone may have advice on this. Take these over a period of a few hours, downloading as much as you can.

TomD

Useful Utilites