Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Question about 2 PC's and Sky Router

This is a discussion on Question about 2 PC's and Sky Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, apologies if this has been asked before (I did search but so many hits came back I ran out ...

Pavel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question about 2 PC's and Sky Router

Hi, apologies if this has been asked before (I did search but so many hits came back I ran out of time looking)

I have a Desktop PC running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 plugged directly (10/100mb PCI card) to the Sky/Netgear DG834 Router and a Fuji Siemens Laptop, Win XP Pro SP2, connected wirelessly on the same network.
      Now the thing is almost every day I have to unplug the power from the router to reset it in order to get a decent connection to the net on the desktop PC (meaning more than 56k speed) but the wireless laptop connects at the normal (5mb) speed everytime without fail. I can shut down the laptop and restart it 20 times a day and it connects faultlessly, do the same with the desktop and I'm lucky if it will work twice in 1 day without the reset needing the happen.

Anyone seen this kind of problem before and how what's causing the desktop to connect at such a mind boggling slow rate?

Many thanks,
      Paul.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Question about 2 PC's and Sky Router

Ip conflict issue?

Are both PC and Laptop set to obtain a certain IP address or auto?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you tried uninstalling the PC's NIC and re-installing it with the latest manufacturer's drivers? Drivers supplied by MS are sometimes rubbish. An update from them some time back, crippled half the Realtek network cards in the country!

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay in answering.

Ok. first of all. Both PC and laptop are set to auto for IP addresses.

I've not thought about the network card driver being the problem but I'll give it a go and report back.

Cheers again,
      Paul.

PS. Oh and yes I had to reboot the router to post this reply....if I'd have used the laptop instead I wouldn't have need too. Really strange this un..

Thanks

If fixing the NIC drivers does not work, try turning off Obtaining IP addresses automatically and turn off the DHCP server in your router. Set your PCs up to 'Use this IP address'. You shouldn't have to do this, but you never know

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It seems the Network card I have is generic, to say the least. Windows installs it as a "Macronix MX98715 Family Fast Ethernet Adapter (ACPCI). I've tried to update the driver via a couple of download sites and Windows Update, but they show as the same version I've already got installed.

Have to say that I never once had a problem with this adapter or driver when I was on cable with NTHell. Never dropped off connection, and at that time there were 2 desktop PC's linked to a Netgear Router via the cable modem. Meaning, if there was going to be a problem with more than one system accessing the router/internet, making the connection too slow to be of use, then I would have thought I'd have the same issue back then too??

Paul.

driver version: 2.11.2000.5

Thanks

If the card is a built in type, you should be able to get drivers from the board manufacturers site.

As I said before Windows update has messed up a lot of network cards, so it could be that which is causing the problems. If you are set for automatic updates, I would almost bet on it.

You could try rolling back the driver to the previous one(XP). You can check if this can be done by opening the Device Manager, expand your Network adapters, right click your card and select properties. Click the Driver tab and if the button 'Roll back Driver' is active, ie. not greyed out, it can be done. I would advise doing it. I am sorry if I am trying to teach you how to 'suck eggs', but it is difficult on a forum like this, knowing the level of knowledge of a poster.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi there,
      Thanks a great deal for your replies so far. I do appreciate the help. As I stated before I'm running Win 2000 Pro on the desktop so there is no rollback feature. I have found a later driver so I'm going to give that a go. It's only about 6 months later than the one I've had installed for years. Oh and its not built-in to the motherboard. It's a separate PCI.

Current version: 2.11.2000.5 Driver date: 01/11/1999

New one (yet to be installed) 2.13.2195.5 06/13/2000

As you can see, there isn't a more up to date version available. Here goes nothing..

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well the driver update didn't make any difference. I still had to reset the router to get on-line tonight. I actually thought it had worked as I got a connection and my homepage loaded. Alas, it took about 1 minute to load Google....

Reset and I'm back to the usual speed. This is driving me nuts now! Any other suggestions welcome.

Cheers
      Paul.