Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Internet light off on Router

This is a discussion on Internet light off on Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Since yesterday morning the internet light has been permanently off on my router and I have been unable to connect ...

fasttoes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01244
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Internet light off on Router

Since yesterday morning the internet light has been permanently off on my router and I have been unable to connect to the internet (I am writing this from another location)

I have done power offs, resets and pc controlled reboots on the router. I have changed the micro filter and taken the faceplate off and plugged the micro filter directly into the master socket. None of these have worked.

I have been connected to Sky Broadband without too many problems - the occasional disconnect aside - for 3 months. Nothing has changed with regards to the pc, router or phone line. Next door did have a visit from BT yesterday but my phone line is very clear when making calls so I presume BT have not affected me.

The router has been sitting flat on a desk in quite a warm room. The bottom of the router was really hot last night. I have a nasty feeling that something inside has melted.

I have contacted SkySupport and the third tier are going to get back to me "in the next 4 days". Even if we do get to the point where Sky agree I need a new router that would take a further week for them to send it to me.

As I am disabled and unable to use a phone the internet is a key part of my life and I am lost without it.

Due to an ordering mix up I have a second Sky router still in the box. Is there anyway I can change the ADSL Mac address so that it matches the one that is broken so that I can see whether it is just the current router that has blown?

Cheers, FastT

2. Advertisement
      greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Internet light off on Router

I never fully - or even partially - understand these things but, isn't the Mac Address relevant to the Ethernet card and not the router? Why not just plug in the spare router and see if it gets sync? I've used a Speedtouch just to see if it was an improvement over the Netgear and, apart from having to enter the Sky username/password, it was a straight swap and online immediately.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

if u got another Sky router already then wire it up - it should work straight away. also, use the plastic feed in the box to mount it vertically to help with air flow
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies chaps...

I did try plugging in the spare router last night but the internet light didn't come on with that either. I assumed it was because that router had a different ADSL MAC Code from the other router.

I am surprised that ANY router can be used, I thought the router needed to connect using the MAC Code which Sky allocated to you. I thought it was to protect Sky from people selling their free routers.

Perhaps my problem lies elsewhere

Despairing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had the exact same issue 3 nights ago – I eventually got put through to Tier 2 and when I said that I was getting an ‘Error code:100’ (received from the SKY PPPOA test), Tier 2 said that meant that it was either a problem at my exchange (where they are currently moving people from Connect to SKY) or with the setup in my property.

My setup hadn’t changed and I had tried my spare SKY router, different micro filters etc, so he logged the problem with BT with a 48 hour maximum turnaround time. Then last night (just within the 48 hours), the internet light came back on, so they must have fixed something at the exchange! So my advice would be, try to get the issue logged with BT to check the exchange.

I hope this helps.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you Dispairing

Good to know someone else has had the same problem