Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Calculating ACTUAL Usage against the 40GB allowance

This is a discussion on Calculating ACTUAL Usage against the 40GB allowance within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Netmeter is quite clean, it would not be so popular if it wasn't. If I understand you correctly, the NAS ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Calculating ACTUAL Usage against the 40GB allowance

Netmeter is quite clean, it would not be so popular if it wasn't.

If I understand you correctly, the NAS is capable of connecting direct to the Net without going through a PC? If this is the case the Netmeter software would have to be installed on the NAS. I don't know if this is possible! If it is connected through a PC to the Net then that PC, or laptop, would record it's usage.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      BaldyBouncer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Highams Park LNHPK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Thanks Isitme

Yeh the NAS is capable of connecting straight through the Router as the Bit Torrent Client is installed on the NAS. I've attached a link to the manufacturers site that details this.

QNAP Systems Inc. (TS-109)- NAS storage and Surveillance products provider

I guess if you are right and that you will NOT be able to install NetMeter on the NAS then anything the NAS does "on its own" is unlikely to be tracked, which is a bit of a pain.

I wonder then if NetMeter is going to sort me out after all????

Also one more question if my laptop is also used at work is Netmeter going to be tracking my usage there also or can you make it Router/Network specfic so that I only track Home usage.

Thanks everyone

Thanks

I don't think you can make it router specific. You can make it adapter specific, but obviously this will not help. I think your only option would be to turn it off when you are at work.

Looking at the specs of the NAS, I would be surprised if some form of bandwidth monitor is not included. You would have to manually add the bandwidth to your PCs.
      Last edited by Isitme; 12-08-07 at 06:14 PM. Reason: grammar

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Zarrion101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

There is a problem that I face, programs like NetMeter and Tauntology (sorry spelt wrong) meausre the whole thing and not just the internet for me. I have a network setup for sharing files and on one of the programs it came up 29.6GB which is not the net only display.

Unless I can find a program like it I'm doomed.

Thanks

^^^^^^
      Yes, the Netmeter will measure all of the network traffic, not just the internet. I am not sure but you may be able to overcome this by fitting another network card. Some modern boards have 2 network interfaces fitted as standard. One card, which would connect to the Local Network, could be barred from the Internet and the other allowed access. The NM would be set up to monitor the internet card. The Netmeter can be set up to monitor a specific card. The theory is OK, but I don't know how this would work in practice. Anybody have thoughts on this?

There are programs which will monitor everything that goes through the router, but they are very expensive and I don't think the Netgear would support the protocols required.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12