Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Just what is the problem ?

This is a discussion on Just what is the problem ? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I will try and keep this as brief as possible..... Been with Sky about 6 months and my set up ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just what is the problem ?

I will try and keep this as brief as possible.....

Been with Sky about 6 months and my set up is as follows - BT master socket > extension lead > filter > sky box, landline and sky netgear router for xbox 360. I then connect to router from a PC upstairs wirelessly (belkin wireless network card). When PC was in bedroom almost directly above router I was getting signal strength very good/excellent and speed:54mbps most of the time with a download speed of around 2meg (I am quite a way from my exchange).

Have had to move PC into another room towards back of house and now having problems getting decent speed/signal. Have elevated router by putting on shelf behind TV so about 4 feet higher than it was before, moving router around and fiddling with aerials, tried turning UPnP off, tried changing channels on router but signal strength and speed seem to be almost permanently stuck on poor/good and 11mbps. This means some pages just do not load up or take an age to load up. I am having to keep rebooting the router either by using a pen or by the log-in page, unplugging the extension lead from the master socket and plugging it back in to sometimes get the internet to load properly but not making much difference. Oh and whilst moving the PC into a different room, I managed to knock the dongle on the back of the PC against the wall so as it's gone floppy I have had to use blu-tac to point it upwards (as the monitor plug is directly above it I can only point it upwards at an angle left or right anyway).

Can anyone give me any advice on what I can do to try and get my performance back up to normal ?

P.S. I know people will say the set up is not the best for starters but this all worked fine with my previous ISP and before I moved the PC.

Not sure if this will help but my stats are as follows :

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3712 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.7 db 16.0 db

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Just what is the problem ?

EXTENTION LEAD IS THE PROBLEM - GET RID!!!!

sorry to shout but extentions are crap - get a longer ethernet cable instead and run router from master directly
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think this is an extension problem in this case, although running from the Master socket will always give the best result. The problem seems to be with the weak wireless signal the router sends out. Apart from getting an ADSL Repeater, which is expensive, the only other thing you can do is try a higher gain aerial. A selection of these can be found HERE

If you are the adventurous type you might fancy making one of These contraptions

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

puretoon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEGF
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

'Scuse me adding my bit to this thread, but this is also where I get stuck as I've an extention too which gets the blame. I too am upstairs with my pc and joined by ethernet.
      One reply is saying it IS the extention and to get a longer ethernet, but the other is saying its not the ext cable?
      I suppose its with JamieBee using the card in his pc?

Thanks

Yes, the OP is using wireless. He was happy until he moved the PC, the router has not been moved. As I said you are always better plugged into the master socket, using an extension will degrade the signal, but that was not the main problem in this case.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I did not get any of these problems with my previous ISP - my service has been very up and down ever since I signed up with sky. I suppose this is when you find out why it is only five pound a month.

Does the fact that that the aerial on the back of the pc is being held in place with blu-tac going to affect the speed and signal strength ? Also the fact that I have been now and again unplugging the cable from the master socket and then reconnecting now and again going to make any difference ?

Even now I have a download speed after doing a speedtest of just 639kbps when I was syncing with the exchange at 3712kbps a few days ago.

I have a couple of other sky routers in the loft (sky sent me 3 for some reason). Could one of those perhaps improve things ? Any way I can use a different make of router as I have a Billion one that Freedom2Surf sent my (my previous ISP) that worked fine before.

Re your comments about the use of an extension cable. When I have plugged the router directly into the master socket the speeds to increase slightly but not that much. Maybe it is because I am quite a way from the exchange or my noise margin and line attenuation are not very good ?

Thanks

Your previous supplier was using ADSLMax, up to 8Mb. Sky use ADSL2 or 2+, which is a lot less tolerant of bad line conditions. This is why many moving to Sky, find that a previously stable connection, does not seem to be as good.

I think the fact that your aerial is held together with blue tack, could have a lot to do with it. Even a 'dry' solder joint can reduce reception, I am surprised you are getting any using blue tack. Do yourself a favour and get another one or get it fixed properly.

Unplugging the ADSL will make no difference, other than forcing the router to re-sync with the exchange. It may even help if you had a lot of errors. Plugging into the Master socket only helps when your extensions are in tiptop condition. You should really plug into the Test socket for the best result by eliminating internal wiring.

I don't think using another Sky router will make any difference. However, your Billion router may, if it sends out a better signal then the Netgear. You can only find this out by trying it.

Maybe it is time you posted some detailed stats. If you take them first from the Master socket and then from the Test socket, it will show if you have internal faults. Run from both a few hours and try to do some heavy downloading, an unused connection does not tell you much. Use a direct connection for this, to rule out wireless faults.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your previous supplier was using ADSLMax, up to 8Mb. Sky use ADSL2 or 2+, which is a lot less tolerant of bad line conditions. This is why many moving to Sky, find that a previously stable connection, does not seem to be as good.

I think the fact that your aerial is held together with blue tack, could have a lot to do with it. Even a 'dry' solder joint can reduce reception, I am surprised you are getting any using blue tack. Do yourself a favour and get another one or get it fixed properly.

Unplugging the ADSL will make no difference, other than forcing the router to re-sync with the exchange. It may even help if you had a lot of errors. Plugging into the Master socket only helps when your extensions are in tiptop condition. You should really plug into the Test socket for the best result by eliminating internal wiring.

I don't think using another Sky router will make any difference. However, your Billion router may, if it sends out a better signal then the Netgear. You can only find this out by trying it.

Maybe it is time you posted some detailed stats. If you take them first from the Master socket and then from the Test socket, it will show if you have internal faults. Run from both a few hours and try to do some heavy downloading, an unused connection does not tell you much. Use a direct connection for this, to rule out wireless faults.
      Ok - your 1st point does go some way to explaining the inconsistency of the speeds but as I said, when my PC was in the other room it did perform better.

I did mention to sky when I signed up that I would prefer to use my own router but they told me only their own Netgear ones will work.

When using my previous set up, I had my router on top of the xbox on top of my xbox and inside an oak cabinet so the signal had to travel through the cabinet and then through the ceiling above it to get to the pc. Also, there were a TV, a sky box, a dvd player and a telephone all quite near it which I have now found out can affect performance but it was still better.

Anyway, I have had a move around and stretched the router so I can place it upright half way up the stairs and moved the PC to right near the doorway of the bedroom so it's pretty much as close as it feasibly can be. Still the signal strength is mostly "Low" and the speed is mostly "11Mbps". I am repeatedly changing the channel on the router and either rebooting the router with a pen or from the log in page. Doing these things improves it for a bit and it can go right back up to 1.8Mbps (which is pretty much the fastest I have ever had) when I am downloading large files but then a few mins later it drops back to half meg, then 1 meg etc etc. How can the signal strength keep changing when the pc and router are in the same position ?

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you fixed that bluetack aerial yet? My brother had similar problems a few months ago and he keeped rebooting my router trying to fix it, turned out his aerial was hanging off the back of the PC as well, he got a new wireless card off ebay and its been fine since.