Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can't connect to router via ethernet ports

This is a discussion on Can't connect to router via ethernet ports within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; OK here is a strange one, on Friday while I was happily surfing the net I started to get time ...

Spherelance is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can't connect to router via ethernet ports

OK here is a strange one, on Friday while I was happily surfing the net I started to get time out errors. Since the occasional dropped connection isn't a rarity I decided to hop to the routers admin page (192.168.0.1) to see if the connection was still up. But I couldn't connect. I checked the obvious (ie the cables where in firmly, tried a different cable and a different ethernet port on both router and PC). Still no joy. So I do a power down recycle and then get moaned at by my dad as he was surfing on his PC in a different room and powering down the router cut his connection.

He connects wirelessly while mine in wired to the router. When the router came back on line I checked my PC but still no joy, yet his connects with no trouble whatsoever. So I swap out the Sky router for my old DG834 that we had before moving to Sky, set it up using the username/password from the Sky router and connected to the internet via my wired connection.

I've looked through the modems admin pages and on the net to see if there is some option or way of checking the status of the ethernet ports in case they have somehow got disabled but found nothing. Sent a support request via Sky broadband help system, got the automated reply but still heard nothing back.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can check the ethernet ports or is the router borked and I have to get Sky to send a replacement?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Can't connect to router via ethernet ports

As you have a second PC in the house, I would use that to test the router's ethernet ports. If that one lacks an ethernet adapter, well worth the under 10 to add one.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You can do a basic port check by plugging both ends of an ethernet cable into the router. Both port lights should come on. I am inclined to think it will be your PC's network card that is at fault. You can check this by borrowing your dad's wireless adapter and put it in your PC.

Very often these problems a driver related, so it may be best to download the latest drivers for your card from the manufacturers site. Uninstall the old drivers and install the new. Do not allow windows to install it's drivers, very often they just mess things up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

hi there, you could check your device manager to see if you have any problems (may see yellow triangle on one of the network adapters)
      i had this last week, somthing called "microsoft tun" in the network adapters and did not know how it got there, just had to update driver and all was clear,

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I am inclined to think it will be your PC's network card that is at fault.
      Except using that port, the same cable and a different router/modem I can connect to the internet so I know it isn't my ethernet port or cable. I've got a wireless card (pretty old and pathetic transfer rate but useful for testing), so I can rule out it being computer configuration as well. That brings everything back down to the Sky router, the lights come on to indicate that a cable is connected to the port but not one of the ports will allow my computer or any other computer to view/ping the router.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Very often these problems a driver related, so it may be best to download the latest drivers for your card from the manufacturers site. Uninstall the old drivers and install the new. Do not allow windows to install it's drivers, very often they just mess things up.
      I have Linux and Windows on my machine, if only one of them could no longer communicate I would say it was driver issue. Since both can't but can with a different router that rules out the port and/or drivers being wrong/corrupted.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is it possible, as has been suggested, to connect your dad's PC with ethernet? If it does not work, you can then advise Sky of this and they will replace the router. Don't hold your breathe though, it could take some time on the phone to get it through to them, then a wait of several days before the router arrives.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah, luckily the old ethernet cable we had running under the floorboards never got took up when he went wireless so I've tried plugging his PC in directly via the cable, still no joy so it looks like it is the router that is semi-dead, I must admit having to use Sky's own router is the only part of the Sky broadband deal I didn't like the sound of, for occasions like this, having been through a few old Sky TV boxes before the Sky+ box came (and on number 2 of that), getting them moving isn't the most fun thing in the world to do.

Anyhow thanks for your advice on the matter.